Skip to main content

The Last Days of August

My street is really quiet, the kids are back in school.  The chain saw has stopped running.  The clouds have moved in and the air is soft.   I start my day with a small pot of Earl Grey White Tip tea, I still drink my tea from TeaSource, now I get in the mail, rather than walk over to the store by my house!  I love being on the porch in the morning.  Sometimes I sit in my favorite rocker, sometimes at the table.  I subscribed to the Bangor Daily News and get the paper 6 days a week.  The above the fold on the front page was about raking blueberries, and in the next section the front page held good news at the Katahdin Woods and Water Monument with a picture of Gail Fanjoy, Lucas St. Clair and Secretary Zinke, Zinke called Lucas, and today there are smiles and maybe a little more than hope.

I have spent the morning cleaning and then spent an hour in the basement.  All boxes are raised from the floor, and there are very few left!  I am getting ready for the big haul - having strong guys take out the "stuff" that was left when we arrived.   I can see a clean, dry  basement in the near future.  I so appreciate each task that provides care and attention to  Milly Haven! And it makes me feel good too.

Today is a volunteer day so I am aware that I cannot just lose myself in whatever notion floats through my head.  I start my library shift at 1 p.m.  Before then I will stop by the Monument office and check in with Lynn about scheduling for September.  Then lunch at AT Cafe before walking up the hill to the library. 
I look pretty funny as I put on my Provincetown sweatshirt and my backpack to walk downtown.  Donna greets me when I walk into the AT Cafe, saying "hi, MA, you look like a frontierswoman".  I love it!  Then I have to confess that there is no hiking in the woods for me today, but only a walk up to the library.  The guys at the counter laugh and I do too. 

When I stop in at the Monument office, I find out that a man I had talked to on Sunday has dropped off a quart of canned fiddleheads!  He also left directions on the best way to cook them.  I have only eaten them fresh and frozen, now I can find out what I think of canned ones.  The jar of fiddleheads reminds me of canning and the tomatoes that I have ordered to make canned juice.  Harvesting and canning and turning the stove on more of the time as the evenings and morning bring more of a chill. 

Last stop on my walk is the library, and here I am blogging from the Millinocket Memorial Library.  It is a slow day.  Matt is in his office (he is the director).  We have several guys here who are hooking up more connectivity and hot spots from the library and throughout downtown!  It is the fastest speed we get in town.  Several patrons are on the computers and some bring their own laptops and "hook up" to wifi here.  The library closed for a brief time in the summer of 2015, volunteers rallied and it reopened in the fall very part time.  At the end of 2016 the library board hired a Director, and we now have Matt.  Matt facilitates an incredible vision of the library being a vital part of community both as a resource and as a connector.  I decided before I moved in February that I would like to volunteer at the library.  I have been welcomed and each week I find myself more and more committed to mission and the work. 

Canning, going to the library,  walking with a backpack and enjoying the day.  All so familiar all so new.  The air is still soft and I am savoring these last days of August. 

Comments