Skip to main content

A Birthday Day Filled With Love and Care


 It is the day after my 74th Birthday.  I am now almost one full day into my 75th year and I am still smiling, still soaking in all the good wishes, the fun emoji's, the funny cards, the sweet sweet words that were sent by phone, in person, by mail, on Facebook and in those many many texts.   I have not yet reached out to everyone to express my appreciation and joy in your care.  I feel so appreciated, so seen and so loved thank you thank you thank you.

My birthday started in the dark of the morning, getting up to see if the clouds had given way to that beautiful full moon.  I could not see the clouds but the sky was lit by the glow and I felt basked in a subtle behind the veil moonlight.  I had not poured my first cup of coffee when the phone rang.  I had still not read the texts that had come in on my phone in the hours before I woke, being the "firsts" to wish me a happy birthday.  Oh my, each call shared deeply.  How amazingly wonderful to be able to receive and to give this kind of care.  I had to call my birthday planner, Stephen to say I would be a little late arriving in Houlton, because I couldn't get off the phone.   Stephen had planned a day in the more easterly part of the New Brunswick and all I had to do was get myself to Houlton and we were ready to go!

The day was coolish, drizzly and lots of grey sky, we were undeterred.  We sped through the border crossing heading towards Grand Falls, New Brunswick.   We followed the St. John's river, a river flowing across the two countries, along beautiful land and wide open skies.  We were headed to see the Grand Falls Gorge and Falls.  It is a spectacular site, Stephen had been there for the first time this spring, and I had made my first trip to the falls before the pandemic.  The falls are regulated by an incredible 99 year old dam and hydro power system, the electricity for the town and region comes from the water.  The visitor center and the gorge, the rocks are all worth a visit.  (I did not let my mind wander about the ecological, environmental and cultural downsides of this engineering feat - for the day I just enjoyed the beauty all around me).  We went to both of the tourism centers the second housed lots of local handwork and crafting and angel wings.   This was the second day in a row that I found myself at a wall with Angel Wings --- and another angelic moment occurred.

It was then off to the Galerie Acanthus Gallery on rue Church Street.  I had forgotten that we were going further east and would be in the french speaking part of New Brunswick, of course they are all bi-lingual and I could only manage a little greeting and thank you.  I felt like Stephen had transported far away from Patten.  The Gallery was filled with exquisite artisan creations, wonderful paintings, wood, textiles and the two women in the shop were engaging, helpful, had many stories to tell and it was great fun.   








Next stop was Tim Hortons for a bagel, orange juice and coffee - a Canadian mainstay that I had only gotten to the first time while on the way to Newfoundland.  

After a little bite to eat while listening to all the french voices all around us, we were back in the car and headed to Florenceville.  We were going back south and still following the St. John's Valley.  We were just a bit early for our dinner reservation and walked the boardwalk enjoying the river, the flowers, the covered bridge over the St. Johns, and most of all enjoying being with each other, as we both basked in the relaxing, present moments we were sharing with each other.  

Dinner was at On the Boardwalk Cafe and Wine Bar oh it was so good.  It was a beautiful space and the company just right.  I had halibut with a beautiful reduction of green apples and potatoes.  It was so so good. We had a chocolate Mousse and a Date Bread Pudding for dessert.  Oh my Oh my!  

Then time to head home, driving back through beautiful country. We were once again able to just zip right through the border crossing.  Big hugs and smiles as I headed for my car, heading for home with still plenty of light and ready to listen to some of the democratic convention on my drive home to Patten.  

What a day.  What a dinner.  Such gratitude for it all. What a day of celebrating me.  Friendships, connections, community, taking care, and feeling the care.  

Here are a few glimpses of my day, so glad to share it with you.










 



 

Comments