Skip to main content

Imagination and Dreams Right Before My Eyes While Getting Screeched - OMG

The short drive to Crow's Head and the stops along the way, both coming and going, were filled with awe and a bubbling happiness.  Spending much less time in a car and more more time outside was so very good.  All of the months of planning, all the hours and needing to remake plans, and all the moments of imagining and dreaming and action melted away with the absolute vast beauty all around.  The huge WOWS that had occurred when seeing the vistas along the western coast, the expansiveness of earth, and mountains, and ribbons of horizon feel different than what happens as I stand on the craggy, rocky islands edge.  I notice the difference - those land vista's open my heart my own being allowed to safely expand, and when looking out at the vast horizons that share the ocean's waters it feels more, well I don't have good words, enclosed.  I feel the balancing earth and water and air.  As I am sitting, walking, standing with it all, these words are not there it is just the noticing, the appreciation, the desire and contentment.  All those moments of imagining and dreaming actualized in the being present in Twillingate. 

The deep relief and satisfaction of being in Twillingate was also met with reality.  That lovely, deep soaking tub was waiting, just for me.  A long soak and a good nap waited me as we got out of the car.  We had plans for the evening and I did not want to fall asleep for them.

Luxurious soaking, lovely nap while listening to the sea breeze, and then some porch time before heading off to Georgie's Restaurant  , I had made our reservations and although we arrived a little bit early we sat at a lovely table.  I don't remember what I had to eat, Marcia might have had a seafood pasta, I do know it was good if only because if it was bad knowing me, I would have remembered.  The place was lively, not overwhelmingly so but in a a way of being with a good group of people.  The evening was lovely, the temperature just right, and the company was very good.  Marcia and I have a rhythm with each other, we do not feel a need to fill the space when we are silent.  Silence is safe and we both need and feel comfortable just being with each other.  We shared pictures and mastered airdrop and talked about our next stop for the night.  We were going to get Screeched!

We walked from Georgie's Restaurant upstairs to the Captain's Pub in the basement where we were looking forward to some traditional Newfoundland music, and getting screeched.  Neither one of us was too sure about the getting screeched part but we were there, we paid our money and we were up for a whole different kind of adventure.  Mike Sixonate has for a number of years sang nightly (except for Sundays) at the pub, this was a place where there was clearly a mix of locals and "come from aways", at least in late June when the tourist season was not a the peak.  Mike had invited that night an amazing concertina player, I wish I had written down his name, he was amazing and Mike was as overjoyed about his being there playing as everyone else in the room.  Mike himself was quite in command, a good musician and a fine entertainer.  The room was full, the drinks were flowing and we were in for a treat.



After a very long set of music and storytelling Mike took a break and the next part othe evening was the Screech Ceremony!  We were all in.  There were a few less than twenty of us who were ready to get screeched.  We lined up and Mike was in all his glory...he explained that this ceremony would be a little different than ones we might have heard of in other parts of Newfoundland.  We wouldn't be forced to do anything we didn't want to do and we could have a substitute for rum drink when we came to that part.  He made it clear we would not be kissing a fish!  I found a screeching in ceremony done at Captain's Pub a number of years ago, before Mike took over the honorary duties please click on the link - you will get a feel for the fun of it all.  Both Marcia and I got our honorary Newfoundlander certificate and a Screech shot glass as a momento of the day!  


We headed home happy, sleepy and not disappointed with our day.  Here are some more pictures from the day and a little taste of Mike Sixonate's playing.  I am smiling just remembering the day, the music, the fun and the knowing that there was more to come.









 

Comments