Skip to main content

Musings of Sicily Float as I Adjust to Home

I am still adjusting to my 23 hour return to Minnesota.  It is less about the body, and more about the pace, the reintegration of the familiar, and the shift of the atmosphere.

My body is working out kinks and strains that had popped up as I carried my bags, and walked many miles in a day.  It is also releasing the last of jet lag, and savoring my bed.  I could hear this collective sigh throughout each cell as I laid back into my own bed with my sweet doggies curled up around me.  Ahhh.  A sweet home coming.

The sea is what keeps reaching up and touching me.  The softness of the sea air, the ever changing, delightful colors, and the movement.  It was the time of year when there were no bathers on the beach, the weather was cool, most folks (except some tourists) wore coats.  The breezes off the sea were not cold, they were soft, embracing.  Ever changing always inviting.  Sea and sky mingling, soothing, touching body and soul.


The pace of these past few days at home have been easy, slow, the push of getting ready to leave has been replaced by this extra beat within the present, the breath among the breath.  I am leaving the afternoon, early evening nap behind, but the steps that I am taking are less rushed.  I find myself looking for some part of the ancient, appreciating all the green budding everything in this early launching of spring. 


These two photos are from Segesta.  We took the train from Palermo, and got off at the station, and walked the 1 1/2 miles up to the site.  So incredible when rounding a corner and there was this incredible temple up at the top of the hillside.  I can still feel what it was like to see this temple from afar, and to be so very close.  My dancing self moved to a rhythm and a beat still emitting from this space.



This morning as I take a big expanse of time, listening to On Being on the radio, looking out towards the east.  I am enjoying the last hours before I step back into work, into my non-vacation world.  I am also hoping that I keep conjuring up images, smells, tastes, sounds that take me back for a moment to Persephone's Island as I remain present in what it is now that I will do. 

This photo of Mary at the center of Douma in Ortigia is one of the last that I took.  This statute of Mary in all it's beauty is in exactly the same spot as the golden statute of Athena that served as a beacon for the sailors as they drew closer to Syracusa.  This church literally built over/within the Temple of Athena drew me back again and again.  The temple itself encased in the walls of this incredible church.
This movement between appropriation and continually bring along that which has past continues to be this constant ingredient of the atmosphere of Sicily.  Not a tear it down society, along side ruins is a curvy street and a new building erected after WWII.  All of it withstanding the sun, the sea and ever changing and always constant island of Sicily.




Comments