Skip to main content

Soft Air

'
Palermo at Dusk
Weather and Air so universal, it is everywhere we go, and yet the feel and texture of it not always so familiar.  I expected, and lots of my friends, that the weather in Sicily would be warm.  It seems so southern, it IS southern Italy, and yet almost everyday I wore my leather jacket.  When I found the jacket at a neighborhood second hand store, I thought it would be great it Italy.  It is a buttery yellow (not my color usually, but I loved it).  I took it to Lou's Leather Shop, it was cleaned, repaired and conditioned.  It has deep pockets.  Very Retro maybe 40's, early 50's, I probably saw styles like this when I was little, so it resonates with me.

Back to the weather.  I wore that leather jacket all but one day, I borrowed a simple cotton jacket once.  I wasn't really cold outside, it felt soft, not edgy like the chill that we feel here in the Midwest.  I think it is about the sea.  It would feel warm, enveloping on the sunny side of the street, if it got too warm, then I walked in the shade.  It was not cool there, but lessened the intensity of the sun.  The sun was almost always out, most days not a cloud in the sky. 

Now at home, I am feeling the bite, the temperatures have dropped and are a little below normal versus our March temperatures 20+ degrees above normal.  We have had rain, and more rain, and that is good.  It was dry here.  The cool weather is helping the blossoms to last longer, the buds are more slowly bursting.  There is not so much softness in the air.
I am still dancing between here and there, now and then.  Hoping to put some of "that" into my bones, keep it there. 

Feeling the softness wherever I go.

Comments