Skip to main content

Arctic Blast, Power Lines Down, Survived It All

View of Porch, Snow Piles and Waving Rainbow Flag

 Well March 2, 2021 can go down in the memory book.  There is wind up here on ridge, and there have been big winds since I moved into my house in Patten, but yesterday topped them all.

After an almost balmy start to the month, the arctic blast happened,  the winds blew, and I mean they blew hard and long.  I heard house and outside noises that I have never heard before.  

The wind chill was -20+ something.  I was concerned about being able to attend my second session of Decolonizing in Conservation Communities by the Wabanaki Reach Program Tuesday morning.  Even though the winds were roaring and the temperature was continuing to drop we all got online, almost 50 of us zooming from 9 to Noon.  

We spent most of yesterday talking and sharing about white privilege, micro agression and thinking about ways that conservation efforts of today follow a colonization history.   It is hard to sit in how the color of my skin has never really negatively affected my life, how easy it is to assume the white is the "norm", the "everything" from which everything else aligns.  Not one of many diverse skin tones, cultures, practices and beliefs.  That it is only white skinned people that can operate under the illusion that we are "color blind" versus understanding that color, all color is to be honored, celebrated, supported and respected.  

So these Tuesday mornings are intense, they are good, and I was grateful that the power stayed on and that we were able to have such deep sharing and openness with each other.    

I had another zoom call shortly after with two of my favorite people in our Katahdin Collaborative work.  It was a good meeting, covered lots of ground, did some good laughing and connecting.  I have the deepest respect for all of you who have to "zoom" many hours a day now that many people are working remotely from home.  After 4 hours I was done.   I was also happy that as the winds continued to howl and the temperature was not getting any warmer I still had power.

Then lunch, a little reading, a few "to-do's" and I decided to take a "couch nap".  It was not too long and I fell soundly asleep.  I woke up and it felt a little cool.  It was very quiet, I realized too quiet.  I looked at the TV shelf, no blue light on the modem.  Yes, really quiet, no refrigerator hum.  It was around 4 pm.  I looked at my phone and the power was below half, more below half than I would like seeing that I know had no power.

Within minutes a text came from my neighbor, "did I have power?"  No.   The winds were still ripping and I had to decide if I try on my own to start the generator.  (I will not go into my generator story today, it is a story all in itself).  I decided to not try it myself and called Matt.  Matt often helps me out in these moments when i just need help.   He could not come because there were electrical lines down going across his driveway.   His neighbor had reported down lines and while we were talking that firetruck and then the repair truck arrived.

Good,  help is on the way.  I will just hunker down.  It was still light so I made sure that I brought out extra blankets.  I pulled out candles and lanterns.  Most of the lights downstairs are these magical bulbs - they charge while the lights are turned on when electricity is on.  The bulbs are then charged and they are good for around 12 hours.  So I had light.  

I decided to not even try to start the generator since help had arrived!   I wrote in my journal.   I made some supper.   I read and played cards with myself.  Another neighbor checked.  Then another it is now after 6.  The flashing lights from the repair trucks cast shadows across the living room windows.   

I wanted the electricity to come back on.  The house was staying amazingly warm.  I kept trying to imagine what would happen if anyone saw me.  I didn't want to get cold so I had on my warm leggings.  I had an extra very very warm wool sweater.  I had my hand felted wrist warmers and a one of my felted beret hats on my head.  For good measure I had my flannel robe on.  No wonder I thought that the house was warm.  

Meanwhile I would glance out the window.  Wondering how in the world those workers could be out there in this absolute frigid, unforgiving weather.  Bless the workers I kept thinking.   I also was remembering my first FB post of the day when I asked, " Did I wake up in Siberia?"   I had gotten very fun responses from the post including a reminder that there is actually a Siberia Township (near Stacyville) just 16 minutes from my house.  Siberia Township Maine came to Patten and brought the wind, the temperature and the wind chill.  I kept having scenes from  Dr. Zhivago float through my head.  I kept being hopeful.

I went back to the couch,  fell asleep and woke to sounds, and light.  Almost exactly to the minute the power returned at the 5 hour mark.  The furnace started.  The internet came on, the thermostat worked, the refrigerator made it sounds and the lights came on.  

What a day.  Today seemed so much milder, although it really wasn't.  The winds died down and the sun felt good.  I still mostly stayed in the house.   I moved snow around.  I chipped away at the pile of snow that dumped from the roof blocking my front door.  I appreciated the absence of blowing wind sounds.

Gratitude for the workers.  Gratitude for the sun and rising temperatures.  Glad to resume tasks.  A fun zoom time with women that I worked together with in Minnesota.  A good good day.

Tomorrow I get shot #2.  Vaccine #2.  My arm is ready, I am ready.  A good day today and a better day tomorrow!  

It is March, feels like January.  Covid time.  The lion is roaring and we can only hope the lamb arrives soon.


Comments