Skip to main content

Hiatus of Sorts

One Year Ago - Picture of pool area at Desert Oasis

 One year ago I was trying to sort out what was I going to do.  I had started my trip west and south at the beginning of the month.  Once again I was traveling across the country on a train. Boston to Chicago, Chicago to Winslow.  A couple of days in Chicago were the last time that I saw a play live (Goodman Theater) and the last time I heard live music (Jazz Club near north side).  

Myah had just arrived back in Minnesota from Spain, just squeaking through before a total lockdown.   I was not supposed to fly back until Mid May. The conversations that we had with my friends were ones I never had before.  I remember asking out loud if I should just "stick it out here".  Cindy would be moving to her new home and I could help.  Karen and Jen were there and the Desert Oasis was another place where I would be welcomed.  

We scoured the internet,  reached out to folks that I worked with in the beginning of the AIDS epidemic.  Checked in with public health folks.  Everything was confusing and dire.   Little did we know how dire.  

I did fly home, it will be one year next week since I got off the plane. 

And now, here we are, here I am one year later.  I am double dosed vaccinated.  It all feels, well it feels so very much.  

I am staying busy,  I feel a huge weight lifted as I experience the hope that comes with getting my two doses of the vaccine.  There are weeks that I have been filled into my calendar when friends and family are coming to visit.   I have arranged for my dear vintage travel trailer "Pixie" to come back home in mid May.  My family will be coming to visit. Friends are making plans.  Wow, it will happen.  

There is so very much about this all....my ability and desire and lack of discipline makes for big absence in the blog world.  It is ok,  my not blogging does not mean things are not well, often it means I am sorting, feeling things out,  I am doing my days.   

So when I found myself opening up the blog site this morning.  I thought that I would just see what words would find their way to the page.   Here they are.  Not sure when the next ones will come, but they will.  

I have an amazing mask collection.  Too many people have been lost.  And it is St. Patrick's Day.  Also known as the day after my daughter' birthday  3-16-74.  The Desert Oasis awaits.

 

I can tell you exactly where I have gone that is away from my house for the last year.

Comments