Skip to main content

Hugs, I Want Hugs, Glorious Hugs

 

Hug | Definition of Hug at Dictionary.com

verb (used with object), hugged, hug·ging. · to clasp tightly in the arms, especially with affection; embrace. · to cling firmly or fondly to; cherish: to hug an opinion. · to ...
 
 
Within a month of moving to Patten, one of the pieces of information that had floated around in this very tiny town about me was, "she's a hugger".  And even in this cross of frontier and new england, I got some good hugging right back to me.
 
I think that as the years have gone by since my retirement, four years now, I have allowed myself to more of my unrestrained hugging self.  Hugs are great, and hugs do come into gradients of enjoyment: "too much", "too little" or "just right".   A just right hug, ummmm, I can feel it as I type. 
 
Just to be clear, I am not talking about bad, inappropriate, abusive touching.  That is not a hug, ans as a child and growing girl I endured way too much of that.   Those behaviors have nothing to do with the affection, care, appreciation that comes with a hug.  I feel great gratitude given my childhood (it is almost a miracle) that i so very much love snuggling and hugs.   I am certain that my Gramma and my Grampa have a lot to do with my loving hugs and snuggling, they both gave me ample time and space for sitting on laps, sitting next to them on the couch, I remember often just being so very physically close to them, and I remember so many of those hugs.  Those loving, protecting, cherishing hugs. 
 
Hugs are not just a physical embrace, you can feel the exact moment when a hug, touches the heart, when a tear filled with the feeling of care springs to the eye,  the emotion of deep loving, the appreciative hug that touches every part of your body, heart and soul.  
 
Like many many people I have had astonishingly few hugs in this past year.   
 
My friend Cindy, who I was staying with in Arizona right before the "shut down" hugged as well, we did hug, but we were also in a this very new space of what is this and what is going to happen.  Our worst fears were not nearly big enough to capture this past year.  I remember giving each other a huge big long hug before I walked in the airport to fly back home.
 
It was a long long time before I gave or got another hug.
 
My friend Kathy came in September.  By that time I had perfected the act of the "eye hug",  the arms outstretched "virtual hug" , the self hug wrapping arms around my very own self.  These are almost acceptable but do nothing to replace the joy of a hug.   
 
Kathy and I had declared ourselves a pod, and when she arrived we just hugged and hugged and hugged.  We snuggled on the couch,  we put arms around each other.  We walked closely together.  Wow, my very very good friend and a lifeline of hugs.  
 
It is now March, mid March and yesterday I got my next hug.  I got some really good hugs.  I went to see my friend Chris, who is also my audiologist.  He walked out into the empty waiting room to get me, looked at me and said can we have a hug?  Before you gasp --- we are both double vaccinated.  We just hugged and hugged right there in the wide wide open.
 
Somehow I did not cry.  My body just soaked it in and our eyes twinkled above our masks.   We had a couple more good good hugs before I got back into my car.  
 
Such a simple thing, a hug.   I know some people do not hug.  I do.   
 
For those of us who live alone, or were separated from loved ones.  This physical isolation has been silently, subtly crushing.  
 
We are close, very close.  I am going to see two good friends for brunch tomorrow.  We get to hug each other.  We get to hug each other.  More and more hugs will be coming forth.  More and more shots in arms.  More and more unpacking of all that which has not been able to come forth because the key to unlocking it was a hug.
 
Blessings for the hug.  My "hugger" self is so very ready. 

Comments