Skip to main content

Fiona = Wind = Generator Time


 Last night the winds starting blowing, by early this morning the wind was really on a tear, and around 8:00-8:30 a.m., after one brief power out experience, the winds seemed to die down.  We were still in a wind advisory, that is expected to last until 8:00 pm tonight, but it seemed like I could do my planned trip to Millinocket to meet with the Outdoor Sports Institute (OSI) board for a morning session.  There were people that I was looking forward to seeing as well as promised great soup and fancy coffee drinks.  I decided to make my way to Milly.  

It was a fun, interesting, mind expanding session and right on schedule I headed for home at noon.  The sun was out as I started toward home, with a pit stop at Peddler's Hill, where I bought fresh tuna from the mid-coast supplier that comes to Millinocket.  How lucky,  meeting new and very interesting people, a really good latte, Polish Cabbage-Sausage soup, and sushi grade tuna.  All good with the world. 

While I was checking in with a neighbor while driving home, the power went out in Patten.  Phone call done.  Then I got a message that showed up on the Car Play, no power.  The sun was still out and I decided to stop at the Scenic Lookout for a quick picture.  When I got out of the car I realized that the winds had really picked up speed.   I took a photo on my phone and snapped a pic for a couple that was trying to figure out how to get both of them and Katahdin in the picture.  The sky was amazing the atmosphere so very clear and the Mountain was in all of her glory.


The colors have just started their journey and I also hopped quickly back into the car continuing my own journey and hoping that the power was on by the time I got back home.

As I turned off the Scenic Byway I met Joan and Joel in the little blue "bug" heading for the Tap Room.  We stopped, rolled down windows and both shared that the power was off.  

I headed off to start up the generator, Joel said he would come down to help.  I was glad he did.  We got the generator out of the garage.  Got everything hooked up, and he started the generator.  After several failed attempts Joel figured out, all the steps that were needed to switch off the main switch on the electrical panel and get switched over to the generator.  The power was now on throughout the house.  

This was the first time using my generator that keeps everything in the house running.  It worked and I have now ha some experience, and a good helper.  Good trial run before winter.

This generator that keeps the power on throughout the entire house has been in the garage.  It is hot all that easy to get out so my best best handyman is making a generator shed, with lift up sides that will go near the house along side the back porch.  It will be lots easier to get it plugged in, gassed up and started.  I am hoping that after the 90 minute inaugural run I won't need the generator any more tonight or for the foreseeable future!

The winds are still strong but seem to be lessening.  The temperature has gotten warmer as the day has gone on.  It will get colder tonight.  I will be staying home tonight just in case the winds raise havoc again.  

My day of Fiona effects was mild and hardly more than a nuisance.  My friends in Nova Scotia and the other Maritime Provinces have been hard hit.  Puerto Rico and other islands have been hit hard.  Meanwhile Hermine is a forming storm and Ian is set to hit in our gulf.  Newfoundland is reeling today.  

I am happy to be in my house.  I am grateful for the help I had today.  Here's hoping there is no need to test my generator starting skills anymore today.

Comments