Skip to main content

Remembering My Mom

It is Mother's Day, and this is the 5th Mother's Day that I cannot call my Mom and say Happy Mother's Day.  I now get to imagine her as happy, full, whole, reincarnated as who knows what, on her path of continued oneness with the universe.  Several years ago I was riding in the car going out to see my daughter, son and grandkids and I heard this story about a roller rink closing and memories flooded back.  That night I wrote most of the poem that I titled "Remembering".  Mother's Day seems the best day to share! 

Remembering

I was driving down the highway, 

When I heard about the roller rink closing.

It had opened the year that my Mother was born.

In that moment  I heard the music,  and hundreds of tiny wheels pushing, gliding, spinning around  the rink.

Wobbly knees and uncertain legs,  Mom holding onto my hand

then letting go – and I am transfixed,

Watching my Mother crossing over her legs to the beat, 

head back,

smiling as I held onto the side rail,

Wishing she would come back to hold my hand,

Wishing I could tell her how beautiful she was as she skated,

hands pumping, rhythm flowing her eyes twinkling,

As she let go for just one moment,

and got to be herself.


Comments