Skip to main content

Suckering Vines

The rain stopped, brunch was fabulous (I made it!) and we spent part of the afternoon in the vineyard. I heard plans, listened to dreams, watched goats, and geese, and saw little pre-buds on the vines. Newly growing vines are such a great color, and I learned the art of snapping off the suckers at the bottom of the vine, thinning out the tops, all to get a uncrowded line of grapes on the vine. Their vineyard in a very small estate crop, they prune back vines and grapes to intensify the flavors and complexity of the grapes. The result of the attention paid to the soil, to the grapes, to all conditions is not lost even on an "amateur" drinker of wine like me.

It has been good to practice deep relaxation. We went to gardens to afternoon, and a tasting, and then supper. So I thinking of sleep, of being home tomorrow, of connecting with my friends and family at home. How fine to have a sweet little weekend vacation. How good to be excited and eager to return home. How special to be enveloped in appreciation and care. What a great way to end a week, to begin another.

Comments