Skip to main content

Spring Day in Wine Country

Today is a rare spring day in Sonoma Wine Country - the rain has fallen on and off all day. It is never a hard rain, just steady waves of lightly falling showers with periods of slightly seen sunlight and another sweet little wave of very light rain. I slept in this morning after a very long, intense week of working of being with lots of people and a competing number of people and tasks that needed attention. The Carneros hills are glowing at the end of this rainy day, they are such a earthy golden tone. And the green green, way new bursting forth green in all the rows of brand new grape veins are much closer to the house. There are no grape buds yet, just sparkling new leaves foretelling hope of a great harvest. Next to me is an amazing glass of wine. It is my friends wine they have grown the grapes, make the wine: Eric K James. This particular bottle is a 2004 Pinot Noir. It is so good, and they joke about the “end of the line” oh yes the “library” wine, as I am gasping, smiling, trying to help them understand how much I appreciate this wine they are sharing with me, and how much I appreciate them, their friendship with each other, with me. So here we are all deeply resting, recuperating for our week of hard, intense, focused work, listening to Prairie Home Companion and so glad that we are have been sustained on this rare, rainy spring day. Thank you for the showers of care of new friends and an old wonderful vintage bottle of wine.

Comments