Skip to main content

Summer Sunday

This morning is cool, it has rained off and on yesterday during afternoon, evening and then through the night.  It is quiet, almost can forget for a moment that I am in my city house.  I am enjoying the quiet, the slow down of the pace,  and appreciating how it smells now that there has been done of those fabulous soakings.  I can see my tomato plant (it is in a pot) from my window.  I picked the first tomato from it this week, there are more ripening.  I have taken lots of ribbing about this plant, it is scrawny, I have forgotten to water it countless times, and yet it has survived, maybe not thrived, and the fruit is tasty and nature has done a good job of giving it a long, full drink.

I am going to have my own long, full drink this week.  Planning a series of time off and time away from my office.  We have been busy, very busy!  Lots of good work, and lots of effort to keep things not only moving, but moving toward our goals.  I am taking some days off at home.  On my list of possible activities: read a book, maybe start of knitting or felting project,  start on a new altered book, write a poem,  work with my new watercolors, unwind, be in the present, listen, listen within.   Then I am off to Missoula with a colleague for a few days in Idaho with a small group of folks - it is  a new adventure and I am looking forward to time with my friend, being at this rustic lodge in a the middle of magnificent beauty, learning, listening, and making new connections.  Then I am home in time for the State Fair,  I love the state fair!  I really like to be in in our booth in the education building --- it is an understatement to say you meet all kinds at the state fair, then there are the entries, the food, the music, the rides, the people, did I say the people are amazing?  After the FAIR it is off to south central wisconsin, staying in a friends cottage and having lots of visiting time, good food, more water coloring and poetry.  Deep, full, risky explorations of what is going on with me, with my dear friend, and planning a trip this winter to Sicily.  How fortunate to be able to take these little snippets of time, of space....and there are more.  
For today,  I can hear the hum of the cars as they move along the interstate,  the sun is more than hidden before layers of clouds, the air is cool, the tomatoes are ripening, and so am I.

Comments