Skip to main content

Mother's Day A Repeat

It was a really crisp start to this Mother's Day, the sun was brilliant and the heat came on early in the morning. Battling a bug and yearning for stillness, I have celebrated mostly alone. Radar and I went to the Dog Park. My Mom would like Radar, I know she would. My daughter likes Radar. And after a good long run, lots of dog socializing, and some owner interactions, we came back home. We both snoozed and when I woke, I was doing what many might do today. Remembering my Mom. I called her sister, I talked to my BFF, and I remembered. I remembered when my Mom broke her toe falling off the top bunk, we all shared a room and beds when we lived with her parents! I don't really remember her always being in our bunk beds, but I can't remember the bedrooms in the house, it is a complete blank! But she most of have been reading or comforting or who knows what when down she went! It must have really hurt! But at 5 I didn't really understand, I feel down alot and it was not awful! It is those times that are so unordinary or so very ordinary that seem to pop up in my mind when I am remembering. Three years ago I heard a story about roller rinks, and it opened the floodgates. I wrote the following poem, it was just before Mother's Day, it seems like a good one to keep remembering to keep loving and honoring my Mom.

Mother’s Day 2007

I was driving down the highway, when I heard about the

roller rink closing.

It had opened the year that my Mother was born.

In that moment of remembering I heard the music, hundreds of tiny wheels pushing, gliding, spinning round and round the rink.

Wobbly knees and uncertain legs, my Mom holding onto my hand

then letting go – and I am transfixed,

watching my Mother crossing over her legs with the beat,

head back, smiling as I held onto the side of the rail,

wishing she would come back to hold my hand,

wishing I could tell her how beautiful she was when she skated,

hands pumping, rhythm flowing and eyes twinkling,

as she let go for just one moment,

and got to be herself.




Comments