Skip to main content

Day 2 - Overnight at the B & B

I am at a loss for words-the sights and sounds are so evocative.  First thing that touched me is that the old men I saw at the airport and on the streets as we walked to Fina's house reminded me of my step-father's family.  They were  Slovanian.  Round, close to the ground, and faces that were sculpted with great expression or well shielded from impressions.  Where I grew up there were many Italians, Eastern Europeans, very few Scandinavians so it was comforting the familiarity of their faces and how they moved.  I love what it evoked in me, and the ways that I felt invited back into this country.  The part of Siracusa that we are in is called the Borgata, it is the first settlement beyond Ortigia (the walled city of Sicily).  There is no evidence of the second walled city but I am staying on Sante Lucia Square, and the old Norman (Romanesque) style church built in 1200's, and then converted to Baroque.  The remains of St. Lucy are still there, and the tree lined square still invites people to sit and enjoy the day....we are off to meet Fina's friend and do some true site seeing!  More later.  Ciao Baby!

Comments