Skip to main content

Ortegia




After returning from Noto yesterday, and taking a rest, while Fina was off at a lesson, I ventured out myself walking from the Borgata in Siracusa to the walled island of Ortegia.  I had been all or part of the way there twice with Serafina, and I locked up the apartment and put keys in my pocket along with a piece of paper that had her address, and I was off!  It was late afternoon and into early evening as I walked along the streets, across the first bridge, along the wharf, past the Trattoria where I had my first lunch out in Sicily (I am still savoring that meal!), past the horse barn, through the park, and then over the small bridge into Ortegia.  The first sight that you see is the Temple of Apollo.  The photo is taken as you enter Ortegia, there is the anteroom, columns, and other outer structures, the wall to the right is what is left of the "house of god".  The house that was in the center part of the Temple was never entered by man and only thought to the place of God.  Further behind, was acually the front entrance of the temple, there were the huge columns and other structures, this is where people would stand outside of the temple.  I am not clear about who or when any people actually entered the site.  More reading (what do I need to learn, relearn, unlearn?) when I return home.  Around the temple last night was some type of gathering, many flags, but no chanting or yelling.  The streets were very full, but not over crowded.  I then walked along a busy modern area, past Benetton, Espirit, coffee shops with beautiful people everywhere (cars and sunglasses and children's clothes seem of utmost importance here!).  Every few steps there were tiny streets off this main road, and after a few minutes I couldn't help myself, I walked down the street, Via Maria Adorno - what a great street name) that is the second photo.  There were a few people that I saw along the way, no cars (they do drive down these) - on this little street a few blocks long, I saw 3 different churches all from hundreds of years ago, I did take pictures of one of the signs: Chiesa San Tommaso, Anno 1199.  So amazing, I keep having this desire at times to kiss the stone, or put my head on a building.  I wound my way off this tiny street, remembering that Serafina told me I could NOT get lost, just find way to the sea, and then I would find my way back around.  I then went a little further and found another little street that invited me in, I looked in courtyards and found beautiful little decorative pieces on the walls, and snippets of color, and strong grates and gates.  I then found my way to the sea.  It is easy to forget when one is so captivated by the man made beauty that it is the sea that is most majestic.  The sky and the sea envelops you in its majesty.  It is truly magnificent.  I then walked along the sea wall, and could see Siracusa ahead.  I took a street back towards the center part of Ortegia, I shortly realized that this is the street where the Oretgia market is held daily, and before long I once again saw the Temple of Apollo,  the second photo of the Temple is from the angle that I came in on as I was heading back to Siracusa.  You can see the existing wall of the "house" and some of the columns. 

I contently started towards home, and enjoyed the early evening sunlight as it created a totally different color and feel of the buildings from the mid-day sun.  With no mishaps or doubts about my route, I found my way my slowly back to the Borgata. 

One of the biggest accomplishments in being on my own is crossing the streets.  The only way that cars will stop is when you cross on the "zebra", and then not always.  I felt truly arrived as I crossed several very busy streets at a busy time of the day on my way home, and I have lived to type about it!

When I got back to the apartment Fina had arrived, and off we went for pizza and beer.  It was great, and the best part was the antipasta and the roasted radicchio.  Yumm.  Fina wanted to order beer, and I said that I didn't think Italy had such good beer, and she has had beer (she likes beer with pizza) at this pizzeria.  So we ordered a grande bottle of bier, and it was good, and it was from Germany!  We laughed and ate and watched the families that came in, a full day.  A nice walk home. 

A true vacation.  I am having a great vacation!  Thanks for sharing with me.

Comments