Skip to main content

It is So Fun to be a Friend

Last week at this time we had the kick-off of the 2nd Anniversary of Katahdin Woods and Water National Monument Celebration, held by the Friends of KWW.  The picture above is the setting up of the Big Top Tent at Lower Shin Pond in Mt. Chase, it was an idyllic setting and a great celebration.  I have been thinking all week of what it means to be a "friend".  Our friends group formed less than six months after the Monument was designated by President Obama.  I don't know exactly how many "friends" there are but I think close to a 1000.  Being a volunteer and a member of the friends group is one of the ways that I have created community for myself here in Maine.  The strategic planning and mission development of the Friends has helped me to see how I can focus my time and energy, working as a part of group committed to our National Monument. 

Tomorrow I have a volunteer day at the Monument.  There are quite a few visitors right now and I am a looking forward to being on the loop road and hearing from folks about their visit.  Today was supposed to be a kayaking day, but the day was cool and breezy and we have postponed until the weekend when it will once again to sunny and warm.

I spent some time watching the service in Arizona for Senator McCain.  There are many times that I have been very disappointed with this "maverick" senator - what I did admire about his was that he did have relationships he did work and value working across party lines.  I know it happens today, but is little talked about or written about by the press or in social media    Relationship building across party lines in congress seems like a "thing of the past".  I hope that in all the memorizing and honoring what McCain did in his life that there can be a resurgence in not being divided and polarized but understanding the common ground.  It will be very interesting to see what happens by the AZ Governor in who he appoints to the position, and what will happen in AZ in November. 

Another politician that got my attention today was my own ME Senator Susan Collins.  I got a most unsatisfying letter regarding the Supreme Court nominee and the process.  Blah Blah Blah.... reinforcing that he spent 2 hours with her, but didn't elaborate on what happened there, and assuring me that she would honor the process.  I can't say anymore about that, how can the republican members of the Senate and House really keep a straight face as they try to pretend that there is anything fair and appropriate about this process.

To counteract my dive into political muck, I went to the Gear Hub ( a branch of the Millinocket Memorial Library) and got a mountain bike for the week!  I was "fitted" and did my safety check and did a trial run.  I made a space in garage for the bike and am looking forward to some bike time this weekend.   It is different from city retro bike that was damaged in the move to ME and has not yet been fixed!  I am sure I will have a story or two about getting back on a bike. 

Isn't it great that we can check out bikes at our Library, and this winter skis and snowshoes!  This is why I am committed to  puting effort into my local community and this region.  I keep engaged and I try to say yes. 

So today was a rambling in the moment kind of day.   I am looking forward to a quiet evening.  Tomorrow another day and I get to be a Volunteer in the Park!   And who knows what else it will bring.

Comments