Skip to main content

Summer Hiatus Is Over!

Summer is not really over yet, but I do believe my blog silence is over for today! I have totally enjoyed my six months of summer living.  It is the first summer in many that I have not felt those severe pangs that it is all so fleeting.  I had to find a jacket a week ago and couldn't remember the last time I had a jacket on! 
My travels since summer solstice have been near and far....I just returned from Mt. Chase Lodge and Shin Pond yesterday.  Celebrating the 2nd Anniversary of Katahdin Woods and Water.  It was a great weekend and a highlight was receiving a volunteerism award from the Friends of KWW.  I love being a part of the VIP and Friends family, and it does feel like a ever growing community of people who loves the region and wants to make our "park" the best that it can be.
Sometimes my travels were in following what was happening with my family.  The "gran's" had a great summer.  Luke played lacrosse with a traveling team and spent lots of time on the road.  Myah got ready to head off to College.  Here they are on campus of Loyola University of Chicago.  Myah is so excited and Luke is spending his first week being the "only" on the home front!

For the second year in a row I spent time around my birthday in Connecticut with my friends Kathy and Irv.  They have a second home in Pawcatuk, CT (near Westerly, RI and Mystic, CT) and we always have a fantastic time.  This year I got tickets to see the MN Lynx play the CT Sun.  Kathy had never been to a WNBA game,  MN did not win but they did a special program honoring Lindsey Whalen who is now retired.   

On the following Sunday met up with my friends Lin and Kathy from Bangor at Mohegan Sun and watched CT beat LA.  What a fun way to celebrate turning 68!

Early August was spent on the Cape with my friend Ginny.  I love having Ocean time.  I am not a go to the beach person during the day, but early morning and early evening times at the beach are marvelous.  Watched the seals,  enjoyed the light, and appreciated the ocean breezes as it was so very hot on the cape while I was there.  Also saw my old boss Eric Engstrom, and we had a great day in P-Town together.  I am looking forward to some off season time there sometime in the future.


 Some of my summer travels were closer to home!  I joined my friend Betty for the Monson Family Days.  Monson is a small town that is undergoing much transformation with the infusion of a $1 Million gift from the Lyric Foundation.  It is also the beginning of the 100 mile wilderness of the AT Trail.  It is fun town, interesting history, some great food, wonderful views and some fun shopping!  I love exploring these Maine towns both in the woods and along the coast.  I took the "golden road"  (the privately owned and operated road of the forest company) home, it is the most direct route.  BUT not the easiest!  Remote,  some great views, some bone jarring moments.  I am glad I did it once, not sure I need to do it again!


End of July was MORE basketball.  The WNBA All Star Game was in Minneapolis.  I could not resist the opportunity and I made a quick trip back home.  Highlights besides the All Star Game was a day with Myah before she headed off to College,  a day with Sasha having really good Mother-Daughter time and seeing good friends. 
On another close to home adventure Judy and I went to Sherman area for strawberries and more.  There is a large Amish community and we stopped at a number of stands got great berries, veggies and wonderful baskets!  We followed this horse drawn cart until the driver waved us around.  What efficiency, I don't think they could get another inch of hay, and the horses just happily pulled it along!  We ate lunch in Island Falls and a beautiful Bald Eagle graced us for 10 minutes of just flying aound up and down along the river.

At home I did a paint and sip night!  What a hoot!  One never knows what opportunities present themself here in my new home!  It was a fun evening!

It was another 4th of July in downtown Millinocket.  The Monument visitors center was open for business!  We did a puppet show with great animals and very distinguished historical figures!  It is amazing and how can I not say YES!

The summer anchor as it is all year long is my work at the Millinocket Memorial Library .  The library continues with the capitol campaign towards our "future library project".  I love working my shifts, being a part of the operations committee, doing whatever needs to get done.  It grounds me and opens me up to many opportunities and ways to be a part of my community.  The picture above is when Gus played his fiddle one evening!  It was amazing and over 70 people turned out to listen and enjoy the evening with the young talented  fiddler!



Then there is this mountain, Katahdin another grounding constant in my home.  I have gotten to hike   drive, paddle and sit close to the range.  I love the changes, the different colors, the ways the clouds and light and sun all dance with the mountain.  I love the water that runs through and near.  The lakes and the rivers.  Summer has been such a joy this year.   I have remembered being a kid and summer seeming to last forever,  this year it has been a long time and I have felt the benefits of being in summer for half a year.  AND it is not done yet.  It is still hot, it is still humid and I am still enjoying the wonders of summer and looking forward to these last weeks.  Looking forward to being close to home and seeing what I will say YES to as the lazy, hazy days of summer wind down and I move into the wonders of fall. 






Comments