Skip to main content

The Woods are Calling and Away I went....


 

I left my self imposed isolation of the weekend.  I knew the "binge watching", card playing, and screen check-ins needed to decrease.  I spent a large amount of time this weekend, trying to "put my head in the sand"....there were good moments:  my UU Church Service on Sunday,  Game 2 of the WNBA Finals, and some good phone call check in's.  Mostly I felt the overwhelming burden of life the Trump administration.  I am not even saying anymore.  

The good news is that I woke up this morning and didn't want to hide my head in the sand.  I made my tea,  responded to some emails, and the blue sky and sunshine lured me out of the house.

I headed to Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument  and the "loop road".   There were hardly any clouds in the sky, but most of the fall color has been blown off the trees, and you can know see contours that the leaves have hidden for the past five months.   I made various stops along the way - stopping at Sandbank Stream and then deciding to walk the Esker Trail.





 There were a few birds chattering and the temperature was just right.  I enjoyed just being in the trees.  I like noticing the growth on downed trees, the mosses, and the lichen.  I saw a very very big pile of pretty fresh moose poop, and realized that I was alone on the esker and that was not where I wanted to see a moose.  Thankfully, I did not see a moose on the trail.  I felt embraced in the  light,  the rays were dancing with the trees.  I could breathe deeply.  

 Next stop was Lynx Pond, this year an accessible trail and pier were built.  Such a sweet little walk down to the pond and an inviting place to sit.  A place to hear what is all around in the silence.  I would have liked to have seen a moose there, but alas no moose, but beautiful peace.




My final stop for today was the Overlook.  You get to see the entire range,  the river, and glorious Katahdin.    I was able to leave all of the unbelievable things that come seem to come at us.  The beauty was palpable today,  I was ready and needed to soak it up.  

It is Monday,  a new week.  Breathe in, Breathe out.  Find some beauty it is good for the heart and soul.  

Comments