Skip to main content

Nostalgia

The Anderson House has closed. The Hotel/Inn has been continuously operating since 1856 when it was built along the Mississippi River in Wabasha, MN. It was around 20-25 years (those are big jumps in approximate years!) that I first heard about the hotel. There were many fun and different things about this old hotel. It was not such a long drive from Minneapolis, and lots of the drive winding down the Mississippi River. When you arrive at this bring building looking sturdy you begin to see that which makes it not be like the "chains" across the nation. On our first trip we were drawn by the cats (they have been on national TV). Young Sasha loved cats and she got to have a room with a cat of your choice. There are many choices, check out the website!  It was winter, and I opted for having a HOT BRICK brought to my bed before going to sleep.  We both got a mustard plaster to facilitate clearing the chest, and overall good health.  Each room was different (mostly funky but clean and comfortable), there were suites and rooms the were attached so kids could be separate from the adults.  Three+ floors of rooms furnished and refurnished over the years,  deciding what room to stay in next and then there was the food!  The kitchen ran as a Pennsylvania Dutch dining room.  The food was great and there was lots and lots of it.  Every trip was a little different, was fun, it has good memories.  We brought friends, traveled there for every season of the year, I have brought my grandchild.  It was not too long ago that I was thinking, maybe I should take Luke and/or Myah or both of them for an overnite at Anderson House,  I have their number in my cell phone.  I didn't do it, and now it is closed.  One-Hundred and Fifty Three years of ups and downs and the doors are closed.  More change, a door closing, don't know what will open up?  Something will emerge, and for now I am left with some great memories, a little uneasiness about not making that last trip down the river, and wondering about all those cats, where will they be sleeping tonight.

Comments