Skip to main content

Spring Cleaning the House and Soul

Last weekend as I was beginning to feel like I might actually be well again sometime in the near future, I got bit by another kind of bug, or maybe it was a bird. Not only was I feeling the rumbling deep down within the earth, I was also catching the spring cleaning movement. I started with my bedroom (or more accurately for the past few weeks - the sick room). There was clutter, and I could almost see the crud bugs battling with each other to take up permanent residence. So I slowly, with many breaks tossed, cleaned, sorted, folded, rearranged, and just plain cleared the decks. The bedroom is great. So I have moved on, during the week, I started with drawers. I am a great keeper, and drawers just fill up with things I somehow can't bear to throw away or recycle or gift onto someone else. My very first "altered book" is called the Book of Drawers, almost everything within the pages came from drawers in my house. This is amazingly satisfying, I still get to keep the memory, but the bulk is reduced more than a 100 fold. So today I am continuing the ritual spring cleaning. I have opened windows as we have broken the 50 degree mark (I couldn't post without referencing the weather), and have started on the kitchen. More tossing, sorting, putting away in better places, having less everywhere instead of being prepared for 20 people showing up for supper on in given night, I haven't hosted a big dinner party in at least 5 years, and that one only had 10 people! I still have the tendency to clean the way I did when I was 13 years old. I would take everything, and I mean everything in my bedroom and dump it on the bed, and just start sorting. I am holding back but I did get the idea to just take everything in the kitchen and put in the center of the room in a huge container! I am going drawer by drawer, surface by surface. It feels great, and it is going to look fabulous. And there will be another spring after this one, to once again do the external clearing.

This all makes my heart sing! It is intentional, it feels like a lot of taking care. It helps me to remember and practice taking care on a daily, weekly basis. There is no blame, no guilt, no should of here! I am just going one space at a time. This spring cleaning does emerge at other times, but how fun to be in sync with this big wakening up! My home is enjoying the shift of season, the big sunshine, the longer days, the big clean up.

Comments