Skip to main content

Breathing Deeply


 The sun is shining.  My pansies are dancing in their flower box,  the rosemary is standing tall, and the nasturtiums are continuing to produce beautiful green with new flowers to come soon.  Behind my back porch is my little woods.  There is little beams of light that burst through around the leaves.  There is green, green everywhere.   

I am on my porch.  I have loaded the dishwasher,  cleaned off kitchen surfaces where things had been set down and left unattended for several days.   I have been busy.  I have been celebrating.  Reaching out and diving more deeply into new friendships.  Wearing masks,  keeping distance, sharing a deep need to feel some joy to connect.  

I am full up.  I have been celebrated well.  I opened up to take it all in, to enjoy this very moment.  To know that not all days, not all years are moments like this.  So soak it up.  It is the grist for pushing through, moving forward, speaking out, acting up.  Now, this morning, I am taking a little rest, basking in being here on my porch.  Looking out,  looking in, and enjoying a long morning tea.  

I woke up very early,  rolled over and went back to sleep.  No place I have to be today.  I had thought about a trip to the farmer's market in Houlton.  It will be there next Saturday and maybe so will I.  I have some "tending" to do today.  The kitchen still needs a little more attention and I am going to uncover the dining room table.  I can almost see the top of it and I am yearning for an open space when I walk through the room!

I am enjoying the beautiful cut flowers that friends have dropped off and put on my porch table.   The bumblebees are stopping  by and taking a nip from the purple bee balm plants that are growing tall along the side of the porch.  

The breeze is making a soft soft sound and the tree leaves are dancing, swaying and moving. I am getting a great show this morning.  The light, oh the light.  I love the light at this time of year.  

I think that my clothes on the line will dry today, and I will take them down.  There is not a long list for today.  Well, there isn't a list for the day.

It is Saturday.  I have crossed the threshold into a new decade.  I have given great homage to this "zero birthday".   I have had lots of help.  I am grateful for being well loved, well supported, and doing just fine for today. 

 

Comments

Annie said…
Happiest of birthday wishes Mary Alice! Ironically, I feel as though I’m the one who has been given a gift by meeting you! I find a calmness, wisdom, strength, and beauty in the gift you are! I hope you have many more trips around sun to take it all in and breathe out what you’ve learned to share with the rest of us! I’m raising a glass to new , unexpected friendships , and the beauty of what can surely come from that. All my best to you!❤️