Skip to main content

The Light, Last Day of August


 Monday - Putting up more tomatoes!


       Birthday Bouquet Still Beaming Beauty              


Some days I can't seem to find that one  thread that allows me to touch some little piece of beauty, joy, calm, gratitude.   That is how these words are able to be written.  It doesn't mean that I won't/don't want to write about my pain, my fury, anger or fear - I just have to have a seed of noticing, of being present, letting in some "good stuff".    So there are days that I don't know how or I can't imagine putting my thoughts down on a virtual page.  

I was aware early in the day today that I had not posted in a few days.  There was the cold.  I was not ready for the cold.  I rebelled, and whined, and bundled up like it was January.   I had kept carrying Rachel Maddow's words as she started her show last Friday, she talked about this week having 47 days.  I felt like last week was about 47 days.   

My response to a 47 day week was to do a little binge watching.  I started watching Broad Church on Netflix....somehow the drama of this series, the ocean views, the ruggedness, the accents and acting - a little bit of an escape.  When I wasn't binge watching Broad Church I was watching WNBA games....and as a wonderful respite Ros and Susan came for lunch on Sunday --- while the winds blew, the trees bent, and the chill remained we had a wonderful little bit of time getting to know each other better and sharing good food.  It was good to have a visit, a porch visit, and I felt a little lift from the weight of the 47 day week.  

This morning the wind had died down substantially.  Still a breeze, but not the worry of trees falling over.  The sky was blue, and the light, oh the light.  The light today was sublime,  yes that is the best word that i can conjure up - sublime.  I felt my heart open,  I felt the chill within me subside.  Such a simple moment.  Being struck by the light.  

It made a big difference.  It put a bounce in my movements as I put up another 14 quarts of tomatoes.   I ran errands.  I put some summer clothes away, and put a few fall clothes into my closet.  More to come.  I pulled out my P-Town sweatshirt that is stained, stretched and oh so very comfortable.  I ordered a few new masks that might help to not fog up my glasses.  I have accepted that we are moving into a new season.

There will be more days of warmth.  I will get comfortable again in my warmer clothes.  The vegetables are still growing.  The green is still shining everywhere.  

It is Monday,  I can find and see the light, even when my heart is heavy.  Let's hope that there are few less days in this week.  47 was too too much.

Comments