Skip to main content

Last Day of the 60’s

 What a good week!   I have had small, physically distanced, mask wearing time with new and old friends.  Monday was a surprise when Anne called on the phone and asked if I was up for a visit.  Her and Randy were in Patten.  I said YES....  So I made a pot of coffee,  smashed some avocado's for some toast and cut the last of my misfit market oranges.  We had a visit of wide ranging topics - Covid Outbreak in Millinocket - Downtown Revitalization - Rehabbing old houses - Good Food and Drink.... I love how my porch can provide a safe way to spend a little time with people who bring me such joy.   On Tuesday Megan, our new Katahdin Collaborative Community Coordinator, moved to Patten.  She came to my front porch for our Steering Committee Zoom meeting.  I made us my scrambled something....we had a good meeting...and I enjoyed a morning that had lots of moments of just listening to rain.  I spent hours reading.  What a treat and a luxury.  I did a little grocery shopping ( I do not often go into the store, but yesterday I thought i could just get in and out.  Why can't people just wear a mask?  We are making this so much worse than it needed to be.  The virus is relentless, and people are wearing their "rights" on their face - this will not serve anyone well.  The shoe will drop here, it is not if, it is when.   You can see why I just pick up my groceries after I email my list.  I am grateful for the service, but wish guidance and respect would be honored.  So grateful to have my porch to come back to.   Last night, Megan came for supper and we both zoomed in to our Katahdin Region Anti-Racism Work Group.  We are learning and supporting each other.  A good thing to do on this birthday week.  Being a part of my community,  being with friends,  opening up to possibility, examining my own assumptions.  Not the birthday week that I had planned, and what I can say on Wednesday afternoon - this is the birthday week that I absolutely need and one that I am so very appreciating.  

 So it is Wednesday, mid-week.  The last day that I will be 69.  Tomorrow I turn a page, turn to another century, turn 70. I wanted to celebrate today, and I did.   I had a wonderful time  with Jaime.  We were going to meet at the Rest Area on Hwy. 11 (aka the Grindstone Road).  Then off for a walk in Penobscot Trails.

Ash Hill




I stopped at Ash Hill on my way.   I never grow tired of looking out over the vista.  Of seeing Katahdin and the mountain range.  Of turning around and looking out over "the County".  It grounds me.  My heart opens wide as I take in the vista.  When I see the cows it links me back to my earliest days in the Midwest, living in farmland.  Mountains, vista's, cows on my way to water!  Bounty indeed.  

Picnic along the river.  The sun.  The sound.  The light!  Sustenance.   Then off for a little hike.  Trees, lots of trees.  Ferns.  Water.  Woodland flowers.  More Bounty.  

Then back to home.  Feeling full of the day.  Full of friendship.  Full of good food and lots of sunshine. 

Tonight I will watch the third night of the Democratic Convention.  I will listen, be present,  I will show up tonight and right up to election night!  Doing what I can to make a change.  

I will also be enjoying the waves of my remembering of today, of this week, and so much more.  The sounds and sights continuing to feed my soul.  Now I want to share a little bit of my day with you.  Take a look and listen, please. 

 

Comments