Skip to main content

All About Hugs

Neighbor Head Hugs
Front Yard Tree Hug

 
hug
[ huhg ]

verb (used with object), hugged, hug·ging.
to clasp tightly in the arms, especially with affection; embrace.
to cling firmly or fondly to; cherish: to hug an opinion.
to keep close to, as in sailing, walking, or in moving along or alongside of: to hug the shore; to hug the road.
verb (used without object), hugged, hug·ging.
to cling together; lie close.
noun
a tight clasp with the arms; embrace
____________________________________________
 
It was not long after I met my "caddy-corner" neighbor Terry, that she said, "Oh, you are a hugger!"  This was 2019 when hugging was not something that many of stopped doing.  Yes, I am a hugger, a arms wide open hold on well hugger.  I read somewhere (I tried to find the source this morning, but couldn't) that it would be good to 20 hugs a day.   As a woman who lives alone, that is a high quotient.  This weekend I got way more than 20 hugs in a day, and I am still feeling the joy of all the hugs, I got side hugs, full body hugs, big deep hugs that last a little longer than most, and all with heads turned to the sides to breath away from each other.  
 
Before the "Pandemic" I knew that there were many benefits to hugs, to being touched.  Since living alone I have had to be creative about getting hugs, being touched, since retiring from my full time job I have had to be even more creative.  I soon found out in the Katahdin Region in my day to day contacts and making of friendships who was a hugger and who wasn't...there were actually a few people who loosened up a bit and smiled when I asked if they wanted a hug.  For huggers we don't need a list of the benefits, we just like hugs for our own reasons and the other benefits are a bonus.
 
We have now mostly traversed through the I can't hug you time of Covid transmission,  many of us still turn our heads away the other huggers face when we hug, but we are hugging.  Seeing that I am still basking in the benefit of lots of hugs from this weekend I wanted to share some of the top benefits of hugging 
 

2. Hugging Boosts Our Immune System

3. Hugging Reduces Stress

5. Hugging Increases Serotonin Levels

7. Hugs Are Anti-Aging

11. Hugging Reduces Fear of Mortality

13. Hugs Can Decrease Food Cravings

18. Hugs Increase Happiness

I appreciated in the 20 Amazing Benefits of Hugging  that the author not only talks about hugging, but at the end of the article she gives us 10 Hugging tips - Approach Slowly - Read body Language - Open your Arms - Take a Deep Breath - Lean into a Hug - Be Genuine....

I really did need to figure out about hugs during the worst times of covid isolation,  I hugged myself - I gave myself big hugs - I learned how to hug others on FaceTime or Zoom by having each of us hugging ourselves and looking at each other with big smiles - and I remembered that you could hug a tree.
 
Yep!  There are Incredible Benefits Hugging Trees.  Spending time in the forest and around trees has the same kind of benefits as hugging a person: reduced stress, improved immunity, lower blood pressure & accelerated recovery from illness or trauma.  It took me a while to remember I could hug a tree.  I know how good it feels to be outdoors,  I feel the benefit of walking in the woods.  
 
Hugging a tree is not my most comfortable hug, and I know for some if you are looking to enhance your life through the benefits of hugging and don't want or can't find a person to hug right now, just go out and hug the closest tree you can find.  

 

 

 

 

 

 


clasp
clutch
cling to
hold someone close
hold someone tight
take someone in one's arms
enfold someone in one's arms
embosom
stay near to
follow closely
follow the course of
hold onto
cherish
harbor
nurture
nurse
foster
retain
maintain
keep in one's mind
noun
  1. an act of holding someone tightly in one's arms, typically to express affection.
    "there were hugs and tears as they were reunited"
    Similar:
    embrace
cuddle
squeeze
bear hug
hold
clasp
clutch
clinch
caress

Comments