Skip to main content

Ear Worms - Thank You Joni on this last day around the sun for this birthday year!

It is almost 9 pm on Friday night,  I have had a lovely day. I have not spent much time on any screens and more time on my porch.  Today held blue skies, and some tiny little rain showers on and off, those kinds that it might be raining on one side of the street and not on the other side!  

 I picked up my mail, I had two birthday card that were square, and had to pay an additional 39 cents for each card and it was worth it for sure.  Who knew that square cards cost additional postage...now you do a first class stamp plus 39 cents! 

I picked up my chocolate birthday cakes from Lizzie Yoder, it has been a difficult to not try a piece, they look really really good!  On the way back from Lizzie's I stopped and got some good veggies at the Haymart Stand and then took a long lovely nap.  I love afternoon naps, the sun was shining in and I felt like I was floating on clouds, so good to have space today to float away during the late afternoon.

I went to our Brew Pub to have a beer, and ended up having pizza and playing cribbage with Jona and Joel as it was a quiet night---I told them I was going to come home and blog about ear worms, so I think it is time to talk about the sound that has taken up residence in my head for almost a month.

 The "Circle Game" is circling around around and around, no pun intended.  "the seasons they go round and round and the painted pony goes up and down...".  What makes a song an ear worm -

More than 100 years ago, Germans coined the term öhrwurm—earworm—to describe the experience of a song stuck in the brain. Scientists call it other names, like “stuck tune syndrome” and “musical imagery repetition.” But the creepy image of an earworm crawling into people's brains caught on.

Your Brain on Music: Earworms - Kennedy Center     

The link above is a very fun and interesting article about ear worms,  you will be redirected to their site and it is worth the read.   
 
I am sure that it is not only the "catchiness" of the words of the Circle Game that have helped to have this song "stuck" in my head, but also the joy, surprise, awe and appreciation that Joni Mitchell showed up at the Newport Folk Festival, surrounded by drop dead musicians and friends and she sang and played her heart out-for us-for all of us-for herself.
 
So as I am thinking about this past year, amazing moving forward into another I am leaving you with my ear worm, with my hopes and with my deep appreciation for music and friendships in my life   Enjoy Joni!

Comments

Juls said…
Good morning MaryAlice, I appreciate your Musings on Ear worms indeed a powerful hook. I so enjoyed the associated articles you posted. Auditory cues often stimulate my brain with forgotten memories some holding great pleasure other chilling dread. Ear worms is a fascinating descriptive of snippets of music the may loop in one’s brain at times. I enjoyed starting my day reading you musical musings. Joni performing at Newport this August opened a floodgate of memories of my years living in Boston during the years she was entering the scene of folk music with her beautiful soprano voice. Thanks for the memories 🙏.