Skip to main content

August Salad and Tomatillo Salsa

 


This morning when I woke up I thought it was going to be a cool drizzly day. As I sit here on the porch having just had a little hummingbird moment I am deeply grateful for noticing that it is a splendid day! While typing the tomatillo salsa is bubbling away safely in their jars on the stove. The August salad that I made for lunch is still on the counter.  The bowl is filled with  fresh tomatoes, cucumbers and onions from Phil’s garden.  The feta cheese is artisan from a maker outside of Houlton. The parsley is from my herb garden!  While making the salad I had a big dose of memory and a twinge of sadness that my family was not here to share the salad with me. We have a long history of loving salads.  Often when I would go to my daughters house or when the grandchildren came over or everybody piled into my house someone would say can we have grandma’s special salad?  Today’s  salad is one that they would love. Lots of fresh wonderful veg, some very good cheese,  great olive oil (thank you Sam), amazing salt flakes from Spain (thank you Lonnie), fresh ground pepper (thank you Penzey’s) and a good dose of fresh lemon juice!  Yum!  

While on the porch eating a so very summery lunch  with a new friend the hummingbird came to visit! They hummed and ate and flitted and stayed for  their own delicious lunch. 

Now I am left with breeze lightly flowing through the porch.  The sun is lighting up my view to the east.  The sky is summer blue with a few wisps of clouds.  I am happy, the salsa is processing, my meetings are done for the week and I am going to have time to read.  

It is Thursday, it is still August and I am enjoying the bounty! 

Comments