Skip to main content

Calm after the Storm

The lawn chairs look sad and neglected, filled with wet day old snow. The sky is gray, very gray, and the temperature is steady just above freezing. There are still big trees branches and limbs on the roads around my house, and many streets have not been plowed. It is the day after the most one-day snowfall in November in Minneapolis in the past 18 years. We got a month of average snowfall in one day. My house is warm and cleaned and grass-fed beef stew is bubbling on the stove. This weekend has been a big preview of winter, even though it is more than one month until winter solstice. This is Minnesota, we are not surprised, and it is sobering when you count on your fingers how many months before we feel the amazing warmth of the sun. I am practicing keeping my shoulders lowered and not hunched up around my neck. I am remembering the beautiful site of snow falling freely yesterday, and I am grateful that I am not one of the 200,000 customers without power. Welcome to the first winter storm of the 2010 season.

Comments