Skip to main content

Chopped Pesto

The best way to meet new friends is in the kitchen and at the table. I don't know who said that first, but I know it is a truism. Last night outside of Princeton, I a great recently redone 40-ish feeling kitchen I orchestrated a supper for six. There was a transplanted Minnesotan, 2 couples who have known each other for years (one couple introduced the other pair to each other!). As an introvert, what better way to spend an evening with new folks and more than 2 of them - is to have a job! I was the cook. Thank you Lynn Rosetto Kasper, I decided to try the recipe of the week Pasta with Chopped Pistachio Pesto. It was great, Gary made the pasta, homemade, raised and rolled out by hand. Romanesco Broccoli was just right, both on the side and on top of the pasta, and the chopped pesto - yummm. Do try the recipe, it was a big hit. It is the kind of dish that you can take giant liberties with -- following your heart and your hands. Irv, the usual cook in the kitchen had just purchased a new knife and I got to try it out --- it chopped perfectly. I loved as the pile of pesto got bigger and bigger with each added ingredient. For me, I got to listen to conversations, and as several of the collaborators of the meal stood by me as we made the salad, cut the broccoli, prepared each part of the meal I got to have a little bit of one-on-one talking. My hosts Irv and Kathy are the most open-hearted, sharing, and welcoming people, and their house reflects who they are at their best. It was a great evening, punctuated at times by everyone's desire to have me move out east...I was not commenting about but did thank everyone over and over for how they were as friends, and how easily they welcomed me into their lives. The end of the evening was great chocolates from Lamberville and Kathy's home-made ice cream - pistachio and cardamom. Perfect end to a wonderful invitation to dinner and more.

Comments