Skip to main content

Diving a Little Deeper

Yesterday I gave you a quick tour of my weekend of sharing my new life in Millinocket with friends.  In thinking about that blog what I did not talk about is what touches me, opens my heart, and grounds me in this beautiful region I am learning to call home. 

Millinocket itself is quite the place, once a booming "magic city" now it is struggling to find a way forward, honor the past, and facilitate believing that this once bustling town can find a way to thrive.  I am one of the "retired" people that still live in Millinocket, some never left (and many of them spend their winters in Florida) and some like me came for a variety of reasons, one being affordability.  Millinocket needs more than old people, we need families, in order to have families you have to have jobs,  in order to have jobs you have to have a skilled workforce .... all of this is yet to come!  The businesses that have survived and the ones that are new all are begging for workers. 

I am not a "worker" anymore,  I am a volunteer and I am a customer.  I like to walk to town from my house.  It if just a few blocks.  I like to stop and see Marsha at North Light Gallery, we often sit and talk for awhile, she sells my needle felted berets in her shop, and I get art framed and keep looking at paintings to buy.  It is like a little museum of Katahdin art work, and Marsha is a delightful curator, easily and freely sharing information and stories that delight and inform.   Her husband Wayne is a plumber, and he has done work in our house, he is a very good plumber.  He has a great smile and takes pride in doing very good work.  Taking Kathy and Irv there was another time of listening and watching as they asked questions and Marsha answered and entertained!

Woods and Water was another stop on our trip, it is one of the newest businesses on our main street.  It is a part of NEOC and they are able to have their staff at gift shop and be able to do reservations and other administrative tasks for NEOC - a win win and one of the smart ways that a business can make a go of it in a town that doesn't have a lot of capitol to keep things going on its own.  The building which has been wonderfully renovated is shared with another business, Maine Heritage Timber.  They pull logs out of the bottom of the river, and make amazing furniture, paneling, and more.  I just sent a breakfast tray to James for his birthday.  Each time we stopped at Woods and Water this weekend, we not only got good things to eat and drink, but I got to have a little visit with people that I am getting to know.  I feel welcomed and I like to support what they are trying to do.  I like shopping local, and this is very local, and very good!

We rode past the library and stopped at the Monument Contact Center, these are both places that I volunteer.  I am grateful that each wanted and needed volunteers.  Giving my time gives me so much - meeting good people, learning about community and being a good steward for my new community.  Volunteering provided a little structure to my life, a life that had changed so very much, and it is good to have these times on my calendar each week, and when I go I know that there is work that needs to be done, and I enjoy doing it!

Outside of Millinocket, there is this vast beautiful world.  Forest, mountains, lakes, rivers and more.  I notice my own inner shift after about 5 minutes out of town.  The light shining through the trees,  the ways that Katahdin hides and emerges as I drive down the rode.  The lakes that can be so very calm, and the loons that call out soothe my soul. 

Going off to camp was so much fun.  I like to nest.  I have nested in travel trailers, in tents, in cabins and now at "camp".  I loved that looking out any window the lakes were there, that is the fun of being on an island.  The warmth of the sun on the deck in the early was luxurious,  bundled in sweat shirt and wool socks, and the sun shining brightly and heating up my face.  The sun sparking off the water as I slowly drank my tea.  Such a tiny little island and so much be grateful for. 

It is quite wonderful to be somewhere that all of this is right outside my door.  I am making a new home, making new friends, and also being able to share with those who have been in life a very long time (Marsha since i was 18 and Kathy and Irv who are "new" old friends of about  8-9 years - I am not really sure, it might be more. 

My new friends here are precious, and I am aware that their lives were quite full and didn't really have a need to open up to someone new.  Their openness has been a gift.

All of this I have been thinking about as our nation remembers the tragedy of 9/11.  I remember that day, just like I remember when Kennedy was shot.  I have been watching as people live through their own new tragedy of nature in Florida, the Caribbean and Cuba.  I am remembering that Houston and other parts of Texas have hardly recovered.  I am wondering what people think about keeping government out of our lives today.

I have lite a candle, acknowledging my own blessings, and wishing the best for all of those who suffer and grieve.  It is September 11th and a good day to dive a little deeper.



Comments