Skip to main content

Equinox Fall is Sharing with Summer

I have so appreciated each and every day of this month. It is the first day of fall, and we are still basking in brilliant sunshine and warmth.  It has been warm every day, and people continue to be grateful for such beautiful days.  The trees are beginning to turn, and on way to pick up vegetables at Gardiner Farm this week I could begin to see the color taking shape.  I have been busy, each day I find myself sorting, tossing, cleaning and preparing for the changing season.   I have my 2017 Lynx playoff towel and pint glass with the new Lynx logo on the fireplace mantel.  This will be the first playoff that I am missing, but I have been glued to the television and have been rooting loudly from my chair, and texting to fans at the game!  On Sunday afternoon I will be ready and cheering for a game 1 win, and one step closer to being the WNBA Champions for the 4th time.  More about them later.  September does mean the WNBA playoffs, and another reason for enjoying this glorious month.  

Today I made and canned tomato juice.  The first time I made and canned tomato juice I was 22 and living in Vernon County WI, I am now 67 and living in Millinocket ME.  I made a lot more jars of juice then, I did much more canning, but here I am using the water bath, filling my old jars, and being excited about bring my own canned food down to the cellar.  Other the next few weeks I will be canning soups, tomatoes, and bone broth.  I like that I can make my own food.  I like the jars getting filled and when you take them out of the water bath or pressure cooker.  It feels like fall, canning.  

I like fall, and I really like these last days of summer.  I easily savor these September days.  I like being on the porch sitting in sun, and when it is too hot i open up the umbrella and enjoy the air and coolness while not being in the direct sun.  The mosquitos have not been around, and it is a treat to not come into the house with bites all over my ankles and legs!  September, the kids are in school and there is a different feel in the morning than when school lets out early in the afternoon.  

I like the getting ready feeling of September, preparing for winter and enjoying the warmth and light.  So today I feel the balance, I feel the Equinox and the presence and memories of fall.  

Comments