Skip to main content

Softness in September

I heard people today talking about it being muggy.  I felt the softness.  Today was almost a work day for me, got up very early to prepare for a planning meeting.  It felt like the first day of school for me as I cut butcher block paper into big sheets, got my packets of post-it notes, and gathered up markers for our meeting.  I put it all in my bag and was out the door before 9 a.m.  We had a great meeting and I felt good as I left. 

Then I turned on the radio, immediately saddened, outraged, scared and very worried about our country as we live with a President who only wants to erase any work done by the administration of our black president.  It is terrifying to think about how deeply vindictive and racist Trump is, and horrifying that the republicans in congress just keep going along with their guy, even when they try to distance themselves from him.  I can't imagine how it feels to be a young adult who came to the U.S. as a young child, and now be threatened with the complete unknown.   They know their safety net is gone, and who knows what will happen, and then to use the unemployment of African American and Latinos citizens as one of the reason to end DACA, it made me sick. 

And we have to keep on.  So, I will write letters and make phone calls to my congress members.  I will  continue to have discussions and to be more brave about talking about immigration issues with people who do not have the same ideas as I have.  Being mindful and taking care as I traverse my feelings within myself and with others.

The day continued, I had time to rest.  I sat outside and enjoyed this ever changing day.  It was a day of clouds and a touch of warmth.  I was in the library for the late afternoon and early evening, I kept looking out the windows, watching the clouds, seeing the change.  And when I walked outside, I was absolutely embraced by the air, with the mist in the air, and I felt this incredible feeling of being supported and touched by the day.  What can you say?  Just soak it in, be glad that I noticed, and breathe deeply in the softness of this early September day.

Comments