Skip to main content

Art and Politics - Not so Different in the Heart

Today was the first and only day in January where the temperature went above 32 degrees fahrenheit....January thaw, but not official because it has to be more than 2 days, and we are only get in one in January and the next day in February is not supposed to get above freezing.  Minnesotans in masse and me in particular went out to Medicine Lake (very urban ring of the twin cities) and visited the art shanty projects... 20 plus "shanties" on the ice.. check it out. One of my highlights was teaching this gay guy how to knit in the knitting shanty (it was a yurt).  The entire experience is totally minnesota,  an acquired taste, and I went with a native - so all the better.  artshantyproject.org  

So after being just jazzed up on the life on the ice.  I went to my neighborhood bar for a fundraiser for Kevin Reich.  I have known Kevin since shortly after I moved "nordeast"  he was born here, is a died in the wool community organizer, and is running for city council....It took me awhile to get really clear about supporting Kevin -- and I am there.  He is absolutely committed to people taking there place at the table - that it is not about being a candidate, it is about listening and communicating and providing vehicles for people to the most involved in their neighborhoods and communities.  If it doesn't work at that level - it is not going to work....There were neighbors and fabulous music, and I was glad to be a part of something that is gaining momentum and that this person is really connecting with people and wants to be responsible to us....he said tonight, " Politics is not for special people,  politics is for ALL people".  We all have a voice, we all have a responsibility to find our own voice, our own questions, and our own place.  We all want to be good neighbors, and to participate.  

So what a day great art, great hope, great aspirations,  and it was all done above freezing!

Comments