Skip to main content

Sleep Study

I started this blog as I was getting ready to have surgery on my throat.  The surgery I elected to do was to decrease the severity of my sleep apnea which was severe and a long term threat to my overall health.  A sleep study is  the "science" of what is happening with my body when sleeping.  This post surgery study could not occur until all swelling from the surgery was gone.  2-3 months post surgery.  Last night I trundled off to the sleep clinic.  There I was slathered with gel where the electrodes would go!  On my head, my face, my legs, my chest, my neck, my belly....hardly a spot not scrubbed.  "All dead cells have to scrubbed off in order for the electrodes to register", the technician said.  I owwed, and ouched, and gritted my teeth, as I was prepped.  Then electrodes were all in place.  The next step was picking out the appropriate C-PAP mask.  I almost ripped off the electrodes and went screaming out of the bedroom, the #1 reason why I had surgery was to eliminate the need for a mask, no mask worked for me-and I had tried mightily.  As we picked the mask that seemed the best choice,  I almost started crying.  Just thinking about what it would mean if they put a mask on me during the night, was more than I could bear.  If they put a mask on me during the night it meant that  I would have met the requirements, the threshold of number of apnea epidsodes.  Then they would hook me up to a c-pap and watch what happened to my sleeping with the C-Pap machine.  The whole process brought into more than high relief the anxiety and stress I have been carrying as I got to this day of reckoning.  Was this surgery successful?   

The technician was empathetic and kind.  After getting all "prepped".  I waited as the tech got one more person ready.  There were a few more steps that I had to do.   I took my 1 Ambien CR pill ($12.45 not covered by insurance!), watched the golden globes and then spent a few minutes meditating and going to a place were sleep studies, apnea and the body just didn't matter.  Then the technician' s voice came over the speaker in my room.  There were a series of little tests that I had to perform.  Blink, move eyes right/left,  wiggle my foot, breathe in deeply, hold my breath.  Everything A-ok, except me.  Then light's out, the sleeping pill seemed more like a stimulate,  breathe, turn it over, trust, breath,turn it over, trust, the every awake monkey on my back would not stop, then, finally sleep.   I woke up and had to go to the bathroom, now that's a feat.  No bathroom in my room, and I am hooked up to about 75 wires...I ask for assistance,  the tech comes in, I trundle off with all my wires, boxes, etc around my neck.  When I get back to my room, I ask what time is it?  I am thinking it is about 11:30 p.m.  because when I woke up I did not have a c-pap mask on, I am thinking it is the beginning of a LONG evening.   But no, it is 5:15 a.m.  No mask, I ask if I could go home.  No,  need more time of the study.  Ok,  I'll go back to sleep.  Fat chance I think.  Next thing I know the tech is talking to me through the speaker in my room.  Wake up MaryAlice, good morning.  Good morning?  What time is it?  7:46 a.m.  No c-pap?  None.  The tech comes in, she breaks the rules and starts talking about my study.  I say how thrilled I am no c-pap.  She says, in your last study you had over 59 "episodes" every hour.  Less than 9 tonite.  I snored "just a little, no roaring snore" when I first fell asleep, she was thinking she would be "hooking me up", but I stopped snoring very quickly.  The threshold for the c-pap is more than 20 episodes per hr.   

I can hardly process the news.  Less than 9 "episodes".  I am awake it is morning, no c-pap machine!  I don't see my sleep doc until next week.  But this is only good news.  It is almost exactly 24 hours from the time that I walked into the sleep clinic last night.  I am still processing this news.  I can feel pent up stress leaving my body.  I am fighting back tears of what I don't know.  I am so glad that  this choice of having surgery seems to be one that has meant something very good for me.  I am glad that my own listening to my body to my self has lead to a choice that was/is good for me.  I am so glad that they didn't hook me up to a machine last night that blew air into body and kept my airways open.  

Breathe, Breathe, Breathe.  

I would love some comments,  this has been a long road and thank you all for going down it with me!

Comments

Anonymous said…
How wonderful it is to read the news of your good report. Yea, hooray that all of your hard work has paid off.

59 episodes an hour!!!!!!! One every minute. One minute and 1.69 seconds to be more exact. As having been a witness to these “episodes” it sends even more of a chill up my spine, remembering my concern not knowing whether to wake you or let you sleep, then another breath would come. But 59 an hour, wow. It is so great that you made the courageous decision to have the surgery.

Many congratulations to you Maryalice, and 59 pats each hour on your back, for taking such good care. It worked. No more mask. Freedom. Lightness. I am very happy for you.

Enjoy, now with more breathe, your creative soaring!

Much love,

Terry