Skip to main content

That Which is Precious

I spent the day with a very dear person in my life.  We were both dressed up in our most cold weather clothes, beautiful hats,  colorful mittens, scarves that protected us from the frigid weather and made us seem even more beautiful.  The sun was beautifully brilliant - we went in search of beauty and creativity - go to see "The Party" photos up at IFP, then off for Pho soup, and onto the Joan Mondale Textile Gallery.  It was a great way to get in from out in the cold.  To stoke up the heart, to be present.  It stirred and soothed as soul friends do with each.

After I had said goodbye, rested and was still, I picked up several books of poems.   I always have poetry books close at hand, Mary Oliver, Rumi,  Hafiz, Nikki Giovanni, all right there for when I want to touch another kind of soul moment.  I like to just open one up, see what surprise or old friend I might find.  I grabbed Hafiz.  Perfect on a crystal clear cold cold cold winter night.

Because of Our Wisdom

In many parts of this world water is
Scarce and precious.
People sometimes have to walk
A great distance
Then carry heavy jugs upon their
Heads.
Because of our wisdom, we will travel
Far for love.
All movement is a sign of
Thirst.
Most speaking really says,
"I am hungry to know you."
Every desire of your body is holy;

Every desire of your body is Holy.
Dear One,
Why wait until you are dying
To discover that divine
Truth.

The Subject Tonight is Love  - Hafiz, translation by Daniel Ladinsky

Comments