Skip to main content

No More Sleep Apnea

Today, more than 4 1/2 months since my surgery, I went to my follow up appointment with my sleep doctor!  This was the appointment that happens AFTER the sleep study.  I knew that my sleep study had been pretty successful, I did not have to use a C-PAP machine.  I thought my numbers would be "pretty good" - but I couldn't believe what I heard when Dr. Alter sat down with me this a.m.  He was smiling and asked me if I remembered my numbers from the sleep study -- I hadn't but he reminded me that I did not have ANY stage of sleep that was in a normal range...I had 58.5 episodes of sleep apnea per hour.  So what about now?  Every stage of sleep was in the normal range.  There were 8 episodes of sleep apnea in the ENTIRE NIGHT --- No obstructive sleep apnea ---those are the kinds where you have delayed breathing.  The verdict?  NO Sleep Apnea...none.  The doctor said he was not only surprised, he was shocked!  Both he and the surgeon (Alter and Goding good names!) thought that they would be able to reduce my sleep apnea to some low to moderate range...and it has gone away!  What a validation!  How fun to be shocked by success, how fun to have it happen to me.  I am enjoying this news and donating my C-Pap Machine to someone who needs it!

Comments

rhonda said…
This is amazing news. I have just heard of a woman who has survived 22 years after being diagnosed with stage IV ovarian cancer. You are a living miracle!