Skip to main content

Mary Thelma Washington Stanford

My Gramma would have been 99 years old today.  She was born on January 13th, 1910.  I always thought that she was born on a Friday, Friday the 13th, but I don't know if that is true or a great family myth.  My Gramma grew up south of Toledo, Ohio.  They lived on a farm, 6 girls, one boy.  Oh my Gramma and her sisters, I loved every one of them, and I am sorry that they are all gone. But not from my memory.  My grandmother died when she was 72 years old.  She died too young.  She had the most biggest heart, and she was my hero, a compass point for me.  She honored my dreams, encouraged them, gave me hope, helped me to take steps that even I could not imagine.  As I write I am looking around my living room,  there a elephants peeking out from any number of places,  there are elephants in every one.  My Gramma collected elephants.  She was given her first one by an almost boyfriend who was not my grandfather!  I played with them, she let me play with the elephants, I let my granddaughter play with the elephants too!  I always knew that the elephants would be mine someday, and they are.  She left a letter for me in one of the boxes of elephants.  She sent such love to me.  She saved all the letters I wrote her when I was young, I have them in a special box.  She was a great cook.  She knew how to have fun.  I have a picture of her and  her best friend Eleanor from the 40's they are drop dead best friends, they look gorgeous.  My grandmother grew things, indoors, outdoors - and she nurtured us and helped us to grow.  She worked for many years and M & M Pharmacy, I loved going into the drugstore.  She had her demons, and I have felt great pain wishing that she didn't have to have such burdens.  

This morning first thing I called my Aunt Beace, her second child, my Mother was her first.  Aunt Beace was so glad that I called, we just shared a very quiet moment, remembering and loving her Mom, my Gramma. 

Happy Birthday Gramma.  You are still in my heart.  Thank you for being the best Gramma ever!

Comments

Anonymous said…
It was a Thursday.