Skip to main content

Hope - Truth Telling - Curiosity

I wanted to blog about the closing of our conference.  It is good to be inspired, to be acknowledged for our passion and commitment to our work, to be reminded of what is important.  Hope, truth telling, and curiosity.  I appreciate when we are enfolded in the philosophical and world of our own faith in our humanity.  So I smiled big when in closing Reinhold Niebuhr (American theologian who studied Christian faith and the reality of modern politics and diplomacy)  was quoted from one of his most famous books:

"Nothing worth doing is completed in our lifetime; therefore, we are saved by hope. Nothing true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history; therefore, we are saved by faith. Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone; therefore, we are saved by love. No virtuous act is quite as virtuous from the standpoint of our friend or foe as from our own,; therefore, we are saved by the final form of love, which is forgiveness."  Reinhold Niebuhr (The Irony of American History, 1952)

Niebuhr lived and wrote during our times of war and nuclear reality and the dawning of the cold war.  Questioning how we as human beings feel, what we believe, and what sustains us.   President Barack Obama has said the Niebuhr is one of his favorite philosophers.  Here is a quote from Senator Obama from 2008"

“[Niebuhr] is one of my favorite philosophers. I take away [from his works] the compelling idea that there’s serious evil in the world, and hardship and pain. And we should be humble and modest in our belief we can eliminate those things. But we shouldn’t use that as an excuse for cynicism and inaction. I take away … the sense we have to make these efforts knowing they are hard.”—Senator Barack Obama

So what does that have to do with a bunch of folks who work to increase the competitive employment of people with disabilities?  Why would anyone at the end of a three day conference read us these quotes and remind us that our work, is grounded in our Hope and the hope of others, in Truth telling using clear thinking, and in Curiosity the so what, what now, what is she thinking.... because this is what sustains us, this is the work we do, this is what we value and what prevents us from becoming a cynic from doing nothing.  So I left the conference and the hotel feeling valued and so grateful that I have hope, that I remain committed to tell my truth, to listen to yours and that I am still outrageously curious, persistent and just damn glad to be alive.

I cannot take away all evil, or hardship or pain.  I can name it, I can share with you in it, I can honor you, and retain my faith, forgiveness and love.  It is that which can help to make a better, more whole world for me and for you.  


Comments