Skip to main content

In Amerika They Call Us Dykes

This weekend in NYC there is a conference on Lesbian Lives in the 70's. One of my Women Studies teachers Evi Beck, and many other authors, musicians, activists, and lesbians that I have known or been touched by will be presenting or attending. What a rich time in my life, here is a little of what the conference organizers have to say:

The 1970s was a period of intense excitement, change, activism, and activity for lesbians. As lesbian feminism redefined what qualified as a "political issue" and challenged every assumption about gender, race, class, ability, sexuality, and any other social category, lesbians of all kinds created cultural, social, political, economic, and regional organizations and networks.

Lesbians created businesses; lesbians made and marketed music; lesbians played on softball teams; lesbians engaged in struggles for racial, social, and economic justice; lesbians made films; lesbians created womyn's land. Inspired by the massive social changes that were taking place, lesbians made new worlds for themselves and others.


In recognition of this momentous decade, the Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies (CLAGS) announces a weekend-long event/conference/festival of lesbian history, culture, arts, scholarship, discussion, and performance from Friday, October 8 to Sunday, October 10th. Check it out, http://www.70slesbians.org/

If I could say only one thing about the 70's for me it would be, "I found out that who I was, what I do, the attempts I made, and the visions I had were valid, good, and that I could not be kept down". What a lesson. I bet they are going to have a great time in NYC. Thank you dykes for being in the world!

Comments