Skip to main content

I am Home and it is February!


 I am back home in Patten.  My friend David and I had a wonderful evening at Canterbury Royale in Fort Fairfield.  I enjoyed the feeling of being in this opulent cottage which has been literally built my the hands and with the imagination of the two Chefs Barbara and Renee.  Not only are they classically trained French chefs, they are just plain talented handy and hard working.   

They offer a brunch and lunch as well as their suppers, so I think a little trip up for lunch or brunch this summer will be in order.   

We ate in the Captain's quarters, a small room with the centerpiece being a gifted charcoal drawing of Captain Somebody from the 1880's, a customer gave it to Barbara and Renee.  The pelican below sits on a shelf just below the Captain.  I really liked the pelican! 
 Much of the carving throughout the rooms has been done by Barbara, and it is quite beautiful but last night in the dark of midwinter I was so drawn to the light.  There were such beautiful lamps and candles throwing off such soft and welcoming light.   

As if I wasn't still enjoying the tastes and textures and presentation of my food last night, this morning as soon as they opened we stopped in at the Micmac Farm.  I brought home trout and trout chowder.  This is the last time that I will be able to go up there before I go on my Spring Away time.   The trout farm is quite amazing and I am looking forward to a full tour later this year.   

But for now I am home,  for lunch today I finished everything that Chef Renee had put in a little to go bag for me to take with me when we left last night.   I watched a few episodes of Grace and Frankie and took a long nap.  Tonight I am sitting in the quiet.  I am getting ready to open my book and have a good read.  There are dishes in the sink - that have to get washed, but they will wait until the morning.  I am glad to be home.  I am glad that January has passed and we are now in the second month of the year.  It is a busy month of getting things done,  meetings to attend, preparations to be made.  But for today I am starting the month off slow and easy, enjoying the expansiveness of just having this time.  
It is a good to have a day of just being settled into the darkness of midwinter and enjoying all the ways in which we celebrate the light.  It is growing.    

Comments