Skip to main content

Moving from Celebrating to the Routine

Winter View (2018-19)  Ash Hill
It is not quite 9 a.m.  It is the day after the Iowa Caucus's (and we don't know the outcome) and the big win in Women's Basketball by Oregon over Connecticut on the Huskies home court!   Now, after a fun weekend and reflecting on these years of retirement that I have accumulated, it was back to the basics.  I had washed the dishes while listening to MSNBC on Alexa before I went to bed last night, but there were more chores waiting.   This morning, while waiting for the water to pile, I put things away that were sitting in piles.  Trying to make sure that there were open surfaces to settle my eyes.  Then while the sun was shining I sat at my window counter, drinking tea, writing in my journal and watching the blue jays, crows and squirrels in my "mini-back 40"!   I had not sat at the window in a few weeks and I enjoyed the noticing, being delighted as yet one more blue jay swooped in and then another crow.  Squirrels were chasing each other on the ground.  I was hoping for a cardinal but I have not seen one in weeks.  The tea was good, and I did take it that these moments would be the ones that I would at times miss when I was on my "spring away" time.   After a cup of tea, I pulled out the vacuum, and started to move furniture and felt the good feeling of just getting the winter dirt out of the house.  

So here I am 9 a.m. the BBC report has just started and the house is clean,  piles are gone, and the dishes are done.  Simple things, simple delights.   I have people coming for lunch today and I am making supper for friends who have had some health challenges and wanted to provide a little ease for them.    I have things to do on the computer.  Food to cook.  Space to get them done.  I will have time to walk to the post office.  I will go to the town office to see what I need to do to request an absentee ballot for the March 3rd primary (I will be on a train from Boston to Chicago) so that I can cast my vote.   If the sun comes back out again I might be able to sit on my front porch and get a little sunbath later this afternoon.  
 
I have decided to watch Grace and Frankie during the time that the state of the union address is being conducted.  I just can't bear to watch and listen.  I will watch some of the commentary afterwards and read what the press writes about the speech and the reactions.

These are my routines and in them there is a celebration.  I am going to make some breakfast and have another cup of tea.  I will start chopping and preparing.  I will sit down when I want.  Despite so very much that I abhor that is happening in our country I can still find some contentment.  I cherish these moments, these days, these times of celebratory routine.  

Who knows what tomorrow will bring.  For a change the calendar is empty.  


Comments