Skip to main content

Thinking about Home Roots

Today was another day of checking things off the to do list.  Better than the feeling of checking off a task was this amazing spring like day.  The sun felt warm on my cheeks and I had to unzip my jacket as I walked around town this morning doing my errands.  The streets and sidewalks (where they are ones - and they are not concrete but asphalt) told a story of late winter after a couple of warm days.  The south facing side was mud and lots of it, and the north facing side was ice.  Made for an interesting walk.   

After a long walk I came home and began to think about next week at this time,  on Wednesday I will arrive in Chicago on the train.  I know where I am staying, and had a few ideas about what I would do once I got back on my home turf.  

I found a very good jazz club, Andy's that is just a few blocks from my hotel.  On Wednesday night I am going to see Joan Collaso a Chicago native, who has traveled the world performing - and she is back home again.  Open the link below and you can get a taste of her style.  I have been yearning for live music, and hope that this will just be the first night of many where I can fill up with live music.  

Joan Collaso -- Jazz Night!

 I will for sure visit the Art Institute of Chicago  as a young woman I feel in love with the Art Institute, I had not really been exposed in any meaningful way to art as a child and student.  But when I began going to school in downtown Chicago and later moved into the city, the Art Institute was a place that I would go, sit, take in a room.  I listened to the docents, and later when I went to Madison, WI to attend the University I took Art classes, in large part because I was so inspired walking through the rooms and visiting the exhibits at the Art Institute.

Last spring when I was in Chicago my Granddaughter Myah and I went to see Hamilton, it was as good as everyone had said for years and I am so very glad that we could go.  I wasn't very interested to do another Broadway in Chicago play, but thought I might like to see  local or regional theater work.  Thursday afternoon I am going to see the Graveyard Shift at Goodman Theater.  It is story that was loosely inspired by the story of Sandra Bland.  I get culture and diversity and whole lot more.  Goodman Theater was another special place for me as a young woman, and I am glad to be returning after many decades.

Goodman Theater -- Graveyard Shift

Spending a little time today imagining what would feed my soul was quite a nice respite,  being able to enjoy music, theater, and art - in between times with family and friends is such a treat.  Good salve to sooth this winter weary soul.  

And now it is time to hunker down,  late winter storm moving quickly in.  Tomorrow the snow will come,  the winds will blow and I can do some more dreaming about a world beyond my little home.  

Comments