Skip to main content

American in Paris

Well, it wasn't really Paris! But an Art Shanty on Medicine Lake, and it was good medicine. Somehow there was something very good about making good fun outside. I am not in a place these days where I am doing a lot of physical exercise - I walk mostly as my "work out"! So wandering outside was good for deep breaths, and the shanties were good for my immune system because I laughed a great deal, and here I am with a third blog about ice shanties! One of the things that I appreciate about the interaction with the creators of a shanty is there absolute appreciation of the people who come to "visit". No veiled judgement or criticism of the "art" object that was brought to the art swap, all art work made is honored in the same way posted in the mail or put up on a shanty wall, dancing is good no matter what. A fine recipe was a future visit and a little more freedom to explore one's own creativity.
This morning as a type there is no light yet in the sky, the snow is piled close to 2 feet, it is winter wonderland. The boat across the alley has taken on a new shape, looking more like a moonscape than the boat that has never moved in 8 years! The sun is reflective and in the darkness there is illumination. It is quiet, and still, and it is harder to think about going out to work. My snowshoes in the garage are calling me for a walk. Instead I am going to steadily inch my way down the alley, hoping the undercarriage stays in tact as I traverse the two tire paths that have built themselves around the hard ice under the newest batch of snow. It is winter. And for one moment this week I found myself feeling as if I was in Paris, smelling the spring flowers and taking in the sights.

Comments