Skip to main content

Call it MA's Weather Blog

There must be something else to write about, and there is - having said that I just must comment that it is above freezing, the sun is high in the sky, it is half-past eight (a.m.) and it is Minnesota. The sun is brilliant, another winter sun bathing day, and I am in my house, smelling the wild rice cooking for the making of Hell's Kitchen Porridge. Happy to be home!
For those of you who don't know, the Iowa State Capitol Building is a beautiful structure. The sun shining on the gold dome is magnificient, and you look down as you drive back into the eastern historical section of DesMoines onto the Polk County Court House, and that isn't too shabby either. Polk County Court House was where I was a witness to my first same sex marriage ceremony! Waited a long time for that. Being a witness was awesome and to actually have two women be able to legally formalize their love and commitment - stunning! It really is only a matter of time before the marriage of couple of any gender will be recognized throughout the US, but for right now it is an all to urgent and fleeting opportunity. The judge who performed the ceremony was the judge who ordered his clerks to before marriage ceremonies regardless of gender, and that got it all the way to the supreme court, and now it is legal. Or should I say for now it is legal, so my friends will be a in class of folks, who are married and most states won't recognize the marriage! They are married, it was lovely, and solemn, and heart opening.
And I am back home, thinking about 35 years of being an out lesbian, marveling in the changes and that which has not changed. So glad that I love a woman and isn't that good - loving deeply on a beautiful sunny late winter morning.

Comments