Skip to main content

Goodnight Irene

I like Facebook! It is great for an introvert - you can just "dip in" for a little while, a way to check in with folks, and you don't have to leave a message - or you can.

This morning, I read about finding the #1 song on the day you were born. So I googled my birthdate and #1 billboard song. I was born 2 days after Mona Lisa, Nat King Cole fell from the #1 place on the charts and while the Weavers were enjoying their day 2 success of being #1 on the charts with their hit: Goodnight Irene, I was born. I remember this song deeply. My gramma sang the song, and she had a good friend named Irene. As a young adult finding my way to the folk protest world I sang louldy when hearing Goodnight Irene, and since my middle years I am often brought to tears when listening to a good rendition of Goodnight Irene.

Now I can say, Goodnight Irene was the #1 billboard song on the day I was born, burst into song, and wipe away the tears from my touched heart. Never know what you will be connected to on a morning check in on Facebook.

Comments