Skip to main content

Remembering a Saturday 45 years ago! Happy Birthday Sasha






I am not always deeply nostalgic on Sasha's birthday.  In the early years there was lots of planning.  Sorting out how to have the party that Sasha most wanted to have.  Baking the cake, inviting the kids and buying Champagne....I think the champagne started on the 2nd or 3rd birthday.  During those times and for many years Sasha's birthday was a much bigger birthday than my own.   From the very first moment that I saw Sasha and held her in my arms I was so in awe that she was her own person.  Of course she was my baby, but she was so much more, she was this bigger than life tiny little new baby who was in this world.  Her own self no longer within me.  

What an amazing gift.  Today Sasha is 45.  It is Saturday and she was born on Saturday.  5:15 pm.  Spent a little over 8 hours at the hospital.  First "Lamaze" baby to be born at Vernon Memorial Hospital.  

I had a good time this morning looking through a small box of photo's that I could easily put my fingers on since the move to Patten.  

Today Sasha is at home in Stillwater, MN.  Her daughter Myah is at college,  her son (whose 17th birthday was last weekend) is out with friends celebrating his birthday in downtown St. Paul,  husband James is working at Prairie Island.   She is on call at the hospital and hopefully will not get called in tonight.  Last report I hear she is "chilling" with the dogs. 

I have enjoyed this day where I get to think about who this woman has become.  Her friends, her family, the work she does.  She is a kind person.  She has an infectious laugh.  She loves her family fiercely.  She likes shoes and purses.  She now listens to NPR, and sometimes calls when she recognizes that "I am turning into you" ....

I am a proud mother.  It is amazing that I have a daughter who is 45 years old.  A woman whose children are getting older are leaving home.  I wonder what is in store for her as these changes occur.   

For me for today.  I have enjoyed the remembering the love.  The span of time.  It is Saturday.  It is a day that brought every type of weather.  The winds blew,  the snow squall came and went, the sun did emerge and it was all good.

Happy Birthday Sasha.  

Comments