Skip to main content

The Zen of Doing the Things That Need to Get Done

I didn't make a list this morning, but I didn't need to take pen to paper.  My list has been rolling around in my head for awhile and it grew more fully yesterday as I spent the day traveling back to home.

I has a slow beginning to the doing part of my day.  One of my "needs" was to just be able to wake up slowly and enjoy my tea, breakfast and the morning light.  

I am aware that I will be breaking a new kind of ground in a few weeks - I have left towards the end of March and come back either in Mid-Late May or Early June.  This year I will be gone for two weeks, the last part of March and return on April 5th.  Spring is not my favorite season, at least spring in the north.  Spring in New Orleans, Texas, Arizona is beautiful and very different than Minneapolis, Millinocket or Patten Maine.  

After breakfast I went to the basement and brought up a card table.  I am going to use the table for puzzle putting together.  I bought two puzzles on our FB buy and sell group - one of Rosie the Riveter the other Mona Lisa, both 1000 piece.

I am imagining that putting piece by piece together is a good way to cope with "mud season".  I like that I am preparing for ways to pass the time and have some fun as spring unfolds itself to me for the first time since becoming a "new local".  

Then I brought down all the paperwork and instruction pamphlets I needed to do my taxes.  I have been dreading this.  Not because of the level of difficulty but because I had no idea what tax time might mean for me!   Somehow I was able to focus,  did have one phone call with Diana our AARP Tax Preparer coordinator and I am ready for my appointment at 9 a.m. in East Millinocket tomorrow.  I think I have done my federal taxes correctly and much to my surprise I will be getting a refund.  

So tomorrow morning I get to have my taxes done and that will be off the "to do " list and my taxes will be filed and some money when land in my account soon!

I know have piles of paper on the dining room table, on the card table and it all needs to be moved back upstairs and into their new storage places!  Not happening right now....

Then it was off to post office and the Richardson's Hardware.  I wrapped myself up warmly for my walk and was glad that I did.  The wind was biting and there was not one bit of warmth to be gathered from the very dim shining sun.  

At Richardson's it was a whole different world.  Inside the store, warm and inviting I talked to Nate about lawn mowers.  I made an agreement with Matt for him to do my mowing and yard work this summer.  Then I asked just the right question.  Do you have propane grills?

Nate lite up and away we went to the upstairs.  Matt has been working the whole time I was away putting together grills!  We looked at the selection, talked about the pros and cons and I landed on a grill with infrared burners, a side burner, and the ability to use one-two-or-three grills.  I didn't even need to think about it, I just said put my name on one, and I will let you know when it can be delivered.  

Then there was even more fun,  we looked at all the accessories, tools and necessities for grilling.  They even have a pizza stove that fits on the grill!  I had a great time and agreed that I would come with pencil and paper and make my list of all the grilling equipment that I would want for my summer cooking joy!   This surprise of grilling extravagance  was not only a transport from this too cold too windy day, but also a sweet memory of my summer cooking time with Irv and Kathy.  

After discussing grilling I then spent a little time talking about perennials and annuals, a flower respite in the first week in March.

Hope is in the air and in people's hearts.  The Green House is going to open.  People are planning their gardens.  Discussions about frost heaves and when the snow will go are a part of the day.  All the while the sun is getting longer each day, the sun is higher in the sky, and each day is a day closer to spring.  

It is Wednesday.  It is Ash Wednesday.  A good day to take care of needs.  To move forward.  To be present.  To get some things done with a smile.
 

Comments