Skip to main content

Hardtack

I just finished going through my recipe box that I started when I was 19 years old, that is 39 years ago!  I was looking for my families hardtack recipe.  This recipe started with my great grandmother (maybe earlier, but I can only verify that many generations!).  I am sure that it changed slightly through good and bad times but it is great!  I loved it as a kid, and my daughter loves it, and we have moved the recipe to yet another generation.  The best is the recipe I pulled out is written by my Mom,  she isn't here, but her paper, her act of writing the recipe for me is here.  And all the memories, it is a souvenir.  

So you can have the recipe to, we made it only on holidays.  You can make the hardtack weeks ahead of time.  Then whip the cream and fold in the hardtack a few hours before dinner.  Some people think this is dessert, but it was always on the plate with all the other food, and then extra helpings later!  Yummm. 

Hard Tack -  from the Washington Family

1 Cup packed brown sugar
1 Cup flour
1/4 t. baking soda
Mix together then add
1 Cup chopped nuts (your choice!)
1 Cup chopped dates
2 small or 1 large egg
1 t. vanilla extract
Mix together and work well with your hands.  It will be very stiff.  Work in on a cookie sheet until sheet is covered.
Bake 350* about 1/2 hour.
Remove from cookie sheet and let cool, it will be brittle.
Break into small pieces and store in a coffee can (gives you a sense of the age of this recipe!) or sealed jar.
Mix with 1 pint of whipped cream and serve.

Enjoy Immensely!

Comments