Skip to main content

John F. Kennedy - C. S. Lewis 45th Anniversary of Their Deaths

Jack and Jack - yesterday was the 45th anniversary of the of  C.S. Lewis and John F. Kennedy.  They both were called Jack by their families and friends early and throughout their lives.  I went to Shadowlands at the Guthrie on Saturday, I had not seen the movie so I was delighted and surprised by what I experienced!  What an incredible story of the relationship of Joy David Gresham and C.S. Lewis.  This was the North American premiers of the play - that has been playing in London --- I have not read the spiritual work of C.S. Lewis but I did read all the Tales of Narnia.  Many people say the Narnia was created by "Jack" early in his life when his mother died of cancer when he was eight years old.  The last time I picked up Narnia  as an adult was when I was with my Mother in the last 5 weeks of her life.  The stories were an incredible comfort and an escape and an inspiration.  So what about President Kennedy -  his assassination overshadowed the death of C.S. Lewis - and that was one of his wishes - that he would die unnoticed.  And he did.    So today I have been remembering, what it felt like to have run home from school and found my Mother in front of the TV in tears - and being glued to the TV watching scenes over and over again - the blood on Jackie's suit, the cars racing down the street.  The disbelief.   The fantasy of Narnia.  The power of the lives of Jack and Jack.

Comments