Skip to main content

The Speed of LIght



What a great image from Hubble Space Craft - I have felt the pull of the speed of light - days are packed with work meetings, time is filled with social and civic obligations, and weeks can easily fly by....lots of people are "busy".  How do I/we slow down - take in the moment, check the internal me - that which does connect to space - to the absolute stillness and presence of all of nothing?  The breath --- breathe breathe breathe, hear the heartbeat.  I knit a stitch, take up my needle, take steps with my feet as I sing out.   I have been saying "breathe through your feet" for decades,  I first heard or more accurately was asked firmly to "breath through your feet" by Peg West in the late 70's.  She was one of my early mentors,  a women who had a mountain in Alaska named for her, she was a fierce advocate for children, believing that a person (young or old) best knew when they did not feel safe - helped create ways for them to do something about it!  She loved adventure  - she played as completely as she worked, she knitted!  She died instantly when she ran a stop sign in northern Wisconsin over 20 years ago! 

Here I am today, remembering her, remembering how I have carried the message to others to myself - "breathe through your feet" - it is a mantra for returning to the present,  paying attention to the breath, and in consciously bringing the breath from the earth and out again into the world I also bring more oxygen into my brain - and a moment of connection with my heart!  The paradox of the speed of light it is moving so very fast but somehow I can be still.  And this morning I can breathe and knit and be still.

Comments